Hi all So after a few months of frustration today i discovered the issue that's been bothering me for a long time..the REALLY slow emacs startup (sometimes 5 minutes or more). The cause is the org mode init file i use. what i currently have in my setup is A. this init.el: (require 'package) ;since we are using use-package-don't autoload anythings (setq package-enable-at-startup nil) (add-to-list 'package-archives '("gnu" . "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")) (add-to-list 'package-archives '("marmalade" . " https://marmalade-repo.org/packages/")) (add-to-list 'package-archives '("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/")) ;; org maybe suspect of hanging melpa, if you have hangs disable this first (add-to-list 'package-archives '("org" . "http://orgmode.org/elpa/")) ;; Initialize installed package (package-initialize) ;; Bootstrap `use-package' (unless (package-installed-p 'use-package) (package-refresh-contents) (package-install 'use-package)) (org-babel-load-file (expand-file-name "~/.emacs.d/settings.org")) B. My config stored in settings.org which alot of lisp code (like 17,000 lines..yeah i like to tinker :)) Using this method i discovered that every time i make a small change to setting.org and restart emacs the setting.org gets tangled to settings.el and emacs takes nearly 5!!! minutes to start..yeah thats painful as you can imagine. BUT what i discovered today is that if i just stick my config chunks from setting.org (ie the tangled setting.el file) into init.el, emacs starts super fast each time, even when i change the init.el file! can anyone help me with this, i really would appreciate you guys help with this as its driving me mad :) thx alot in advance Z