emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Re: Re: multipage html output
@ 2024-07-07  5:39 Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez @ 2024-07-07  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: orm.finnendahl; +Cc: Org Mode List

Hi Oorm

thanks for the lengthy answer.

>Hi,
>
>Am Samstag, den 06. Juli 2024 um 07:47:43 Uhr (+0200) schrieb Pedro Andres
Aranda Gutierrez:
>> Sorry for bumping in, I've been more off than on in the last couple of
>> weeks...
>> Just a stupid question: have you considered any marker to force a page
>> break?
>> That would make this functionality portable to other exporters like
LaTeX,
>> where
>> you can force a page break with \clearpage or \cleardoublepage.
>
> although this is of course possible, currently I'm not planning to
>implement it.
>
>Regarding html export I see some problems with that idea:
>
>1. It would either open a new can of worms if this page would be added
>   to the toc with all sorts of ensuing problems like naming, etc. and
>   getting out of sync with the Latex document's toc.

OK, right, didn't think about it that way... Because this functionality
would be more about typesetting than about anything else. When you export a
doc to LaTeX, you barely
care about the TOC, because that is generated "behind the scenes" from
headings only.

>or
>
>2. Those additinal pages don't get added to the toc and are only
>   reachable by navigation elements, which I consider suboptimal (and
>   you'd still have to name them).

But that's exactly what this is about... In LaTeX is would go unnoticed by
the exported,
and maybe to export to plain text you would add a form feed (^L, or FF) and
increment the page number. I suspect that for ODT there is something to
force this too.

>In any case, currently I'm facing many problems concerning the
>glorious hairy details and am glad if I can sort them out in a way
>that they are general enough to be added to ox. Adding additional
>engines to handle page breaks the way you envision should then be
>feasible without reinventing the wheel.

Thanks for your view... maybe the design of this feature involves creating
a #+PAGE: directive that is translated to a NOP when exporting to HTML and
to whatever it needs for other exporters,

Best, /PA
--
Fragen sind nicht da, um beantwortet zu werden,
Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden

Headaches with a Juju log:
unit-basic-16: 09:17:36 WARNING juju.worker.uniter.operation we should run
a leader-deposed hook here, but we can't yet

* Re: Re: multipage html output
@ 2024-07-07 10:38 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-07-07 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez; +Cc: orm.finnendahl, Org Mode List

Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <paaguti@gmail.com> writes:

> O... Because this functionality
> would be more about typesetting than about anything else. When you export a
> doc to LaTeX, you barely
> care about the TOC, because that is generated "behind the scenes" from
> headings only.

AFAIU, the feature we are discussing here is not about typesetting, but
about producing multi-file output.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Re: multipage html output
@ 2024-07-07 10:39   ` Orm Finnendahl
From: Orm Finnendahl @ 2024-07-07 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Org Mode List

Am Sonntag, den 07. Juli 2024 um 10:38:08 Uhr (+0000) schrieb Ihor Radchenko:
> AFAIU, the feature we are discussing here is not about typesetting, but
> about producing multi-file output.

 exactly.

--
Orm