On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 1:33 PM, Tyler Smith wrote: > Ken Mankoff writes: > > > > In my version of this, I have each project as its own git repository, > > where git contains the Org file, other code, the manuscript, etc. I > > add any Org files to my global agenda with =M-x > > org-agenda-file-to-front= and remove with = M-x org-remove-file=. > > > >> most tutorials assume that all your planning files are found in one > >> directory (e.g., ~/org). > > > > That is only because it is easier to show that setup in the tutorial. You > > can have Org files all over the place, and each can be added to the > Agenda > > or not, as you wish. > > Thanks Ken. Perhaps I've been trying to hard to force everything into > one directory. I did find a post on Reddit that describes a convenient > way to create org files for projects anywhere in the directory tree in a > shared global location: > > > https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/2qwh8q/org_mode_one_massive_file_or_tons_of_small_ones/cnacdpl > > This has the benefit of keeping all my planning (.org) files in one > repo, but the disadvantage of separating the planning files from the > project they relate to. Something your approach deals with nicely. I'll > try that out. > Another option: I have a function that recursively searches a parent directory (using the "find-lisp" library) for files that are named *.org. I then add that function to org-agenda-mode-hook so that every time I open and agenda view, it recalculates the org-agenda-files variable. On a local filesystem (laptop, SSD) i don't notice a thing, slow-down wise. YMMV if your Org files are on a network share. > > Best, > > Tyler > > -- > http://plantarum.ca > >