emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* In-Buffer LaTeX previews in org-mode
@ 2021-01-13  3:55 Daryl Manning
From: Daryl Manning @ 2021-01-13  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Having flirted with Notion and Roam over the holidays I am trying to find a
way to steal some of the nicer features there for my org-mode/org-roam
setup. Use case: Formulas.

What's state of art these days for "reading over notes" use cases (not
necessarily publishing papers) for getting complex formulas (and I"m fine
with LaTeX to describe them) to display in-buffer in org-mode?

Notion (and Roam) use a simple `$$LaTeX$$` double $$ delimiters in their
markdown-flavoured markup to transform formulas into a rendered line and,
in the case of Notion, an "Equation block" which is a larger more visible
double-ish-size block (which is really nice and aesthetically great when
you're reading over notes tbh).

I've seen `magic-latex-buffer` (though it seems not to support conventions
like `\over` - critical for some astro and physics formulas I take notes
on), and have also seen the interesting work on `webkit-ketex-render` which
is amazing but want something persistent rather than on rollover (and was
not in melpa so still wrestling it). I've also seen some people render an
image and drop that in-note (osx hates this), but that seems, well...
kludgey.

Is there a way to achieve this nicely and in an on-the-fly fashion? It's a
fairly new need for me, but googling on this has been rabbit-hole of
various approaches without a clear winner, so curious as to what proper
researchers or academics who may be using emacs and I assume also need to
render this stuff in-buffer are doing.

thanks,
Daryl.