at least for my use case, refile goto should push mark in the target buffer after visiting the buffer, before jumping. rationale: it can be a big jump. m-< pushes mark for that reason. i think i saw that in the manual years ago. :) i am often in my-big-subtree, someplace, and go someplace else. i want to return to that place in my-big-subtree. refile goto loses the previous position. i want to c-u c-spc to get to where i was. completely unrelated: global mark ring is orthogonal, as i know exactly where i want to go, but it could take me anywhere. also, i've never gotten global mark ring to work for me. i think maybe global marks should work like vundo or undo-tree, where you have up down right left and i don't think it should be a ring but a tree. when i jump, i often don't know that i want to return so do not set the mark. to me, the big jump of refile goto in the target buffer is the reasonable automatic mark setter like m-<. also unrelated is switching buffers; i think in terms of headings. -- The Kafka Pandemic A blog about science, health, human rights, and misopathy: https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com