emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Hiding results using :post
@ 2021-06-07 12:51 Roger Mason
From: Roger Mason @ 2021-06-07 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode-email

Hello,

I'd like to be able to hide results, for example when I expect the
them to span many lines.  I know I can hit =tab= on the #+RESULTS: line,
but I'd like to be able to set this automatically.

My most recent effort:

#+name: hideresults
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :results none :exports none
(add-to-invisibility-spec '(org-babel-hide-result . t))
#+end_src

run like this

#+header: :engine postgresql :dbhost "localhost"  :dbuser "rmason" :database "test" :colnames yes
#+header: :post hideresults
#+name: pgquery
#+begin_src sql
select timestamp,nempty0 from settings where timestamp like '%20210528%'
#+end_src

produces

#+RESULTS: pgquery
: nil

I'm sure there is a way to do this, but I need some pointers as to how.

Thanks for any help.

Roger

Org mode version 9.2.3 (release_9.2.3-390-gfb5091 @
/home/rmason/.emacs.d/org-git/lisp/)

GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, amd64-portbld-freebsd11.4, X toolkit, cairo version 1.16.0, Xaw3d scroll bars)

* Re: Hiding results using :post
@ 2021-06-07 14:00 ` Nick Savage
From: Nick Savage @ 2021-06-07 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

My initial thoughts are that this is very possible. This might be an
area where we could add a new defcustom on always hiding the results to
allow the user to choose it. Without looking at the code, I think it
would be pretty straight forward to make an excursion to the results
line, toggle showing it, then going back to where the point was.

I can take a crack at a patch in the next day or so if no one else wants
to or gets there first.

@ 2021-06-07 20:42   ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2021-06-07 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Savage; +Cc: org-mode-email

This is doable with a hook and advice I think. The hook will hide the
results if you use :results hide in the header.

I had to use the advice to remove the results before hand, so that you
toggle the visibility off. This is pretty lightly tested. you could
eliminate

(defun hide-results (&optional &rest args)
  (let ((results (cdr (assoc :results (third (org-babel-get-src-block-info
'light))))))
    (when (string-match "hide" results)
      (org-babel-hide-result-toggle t))))

(add-hook 'org-babel-after-execute-hook 'hide-results)

(advice-add 'org-babel-execute-src-block :before (lambda (&rest args)
(org-babel-remove-result)))

I guess there are other ways that might work too.

#+BEGIN_SRC jupyter-python :results hide
print(5)
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
: 5

John

-----------------------------------
Professor John Kitchin (he/him/his)
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
@johnkitchin
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

@ 2021-06-07 21:21     ` George Mauer
From: George Mauer @ 2021-06-07 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode-email

Woah woah. What is the jupyter-python language, John?

@ 2021-06-07 21:30       ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2021-06-07 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gmauer; +Cc: org-mode-email

it is the name of blocks that use emacs-jupyter (
https://github.com/nnicandro/emacs-jupyter)  (instead of ob-ipython).
Basically it is a connection between org-src blocks and a jupyter kernel
(it does not have to be python, it can be julia, R, etc.) I am trying it
out this summer.

I think that code should work on most src-blocks though.

John

-----------------------------------

@ 2021-06-07 21:51         ` George Mauer
From: George Mauer @ 2021-06-07 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode-email

Cool, thanks!

@ 2021-06-08 10:38     ` Roger Mason
From: Roger Mason @ 2021-06-08 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

John Kitchin writes:

> This is doable with a hook and advice I think. The hook will hide the
> results if you use :results hide in the header.
>
> I had to use the advice to remove the results before hand, so that you
> toggle the visibility off. This is pretty lightly tested. you could
> eliminate
>
> (defun hide-results (&optional &rest args)
>   (let ((results (cdr (assoc :results (third (org-babel-get-src-block-info
> 'light))))))
>     (when (string-match "hide" results)
>       (org-babel-hide-result-toggle t))))
>
> (add-hook 'org-babel-after-execute-hook 'hide-results)
>
> (advice-add 'org-babel-execute-src-block :before (lambda (&rest args)
> (org-babel-remove-result)))
>
> I guess there are other ways that might work too.
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC jupyter-python :results hide
> print(5)
> #+END_SRC
>
> #+RESULTS:
> : 5