emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Internal non-PROPERTY links don't export to HTML with the "a" IDs that were assigned
@ 2016-03-28 13:28 D. C. Toedt
From: D. C. Toedt @ 2016-03-28 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm using the latest update from the package updater, released 2016-03-28:
 Org-mode version 8.3.2 (release_8.3.2-164-g50a182).

I can best illustrate the problem with an example:

*Org source:  *

See also the [[IndemnNonAssign][Indemnity rights not
> ​​
> assignable]] provision.

*​Former exported HTML (correct):*

See also the <a href="#In <http://www.commondraft.org/#IndemnNonAssign>
> demnNonAssign <http://www.commondraft.org/#IndemnNonAssign>">Indemnity rig
> ​​
> hts not assignable</a> provision.

​​

*Current exported HTML (incorrect):*

​​
> See also the <
> ​​
> a href="#orgtarget21">Indemnity rights not assignable</a> provision.

​​

​​
This causes problems, because "orgtarget21" won't necessarily be assigned
to the same point in the text, which in turn means that "jump cite" ​​links
to specific points internal to the document will break.​​
​​
​​I scanned through the documentation but didn't see anything indicating
​that there's a setting to use assigned names instead of "orgtargetNN"

​​

D. C. Toedt III
*(My last name is pronounced "Tate")*
Attorney & arbitrator -- tech contracts & IP
O: +1 (713) 364-6545   C: +1 (713) 516-8968
​​

dc@toedt.com    @dctoedt <https://twitter.com/DCToedt>
​
Skype: dctoedt
​

www.OnContracts.com/About <http://www.oncontracts.com/About>
​​

Unless expressly stated otherwise,
this message is not intended to serve
as assent to an agreement or other document,
even if attached to this message.

* Re: Internal non-PROPERTY links don't export to HTML with the "a" IDs that were assigned
@ 2016-03-28 17:11 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2016-03-28 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"D. C. Toedt" <dc@toedt.com> writes:

> I'm using the latest update from the package updater, released 2016-03-28:  Org-mode version 8.3.2 (release_8.3.2-164-g50a182).
>
> I can best illustrate the problem with an example:
>
> Org source:
>
>     See also the [[IndemnNonAssign][Indemnity rights not
>     ​​
>     assignable]] provision.
>
> ​Former exported HTML (correct):
>
>     See also the <a href="#IndemnNonAssign">Indemnity rig
>     ​​
>     hts not assignable</a> provision.
>
> ​​
>
> Current exported HTML (incorrect):
>
>     ​​
>     See also the <
>     ​​
>     a href="#orgtarget21">Indemnity rights not assignable</a> provision.
>
> ​​
>
> ​​
> This causes problems, because "orgtarget21" won't necessarily be assigned to the same point in the text, which in turn means that "jump cite" ​​links to specific points internal to the
> document will break.​​
> ​​

Do you actually see breakage?  I get

coupled with

<a id="org1946c66"></a>

at the referent, which is correct I believe.

So what problems are you seeing (other than that the label looks funny)?

> ​​I scanned through the documentation but didn't see anything indicating
> ​that there's a setting to use assigned names instead of "orgtargetNN"

<mumble> CUSTOM_ID </mumble> - I'm muttering because I'm not
sure what problem you are having and whether CUSTOM_ID can
solve it.

LaTeX export can override these labels with org-latex-prefer-user-labels
(see its documentation for the rationale), but there is no similar
provision for HTML export.

The issue (actually not quite the same issue but it *is* related) last
came up about a month ago:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/105329

and Nicolas indicated that he would be willing to accept a patch
to do something similar with HTML export:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/105329/focus=105391

The underlying rationale in that thread was that one might want
predictable labels so that they could be used e.g. in CSS to style
something.

--
Nick

* Re: Internal non-PROPERTY links don't export to HTML with the "a" IDs that were assigned
@ 2016-03-28 17:48   ` D. C. Toedt
From: D. C. Toedt @ 2016-03-28 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode