emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* ox-* vs org-* naming convention?
@ 2020-06-07 16:30 Diego Zamboni
From: Diego Zamboni @ 2020-06-07 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Hi,

I am working on submitting a new set of exporters I've been working on
(https://gitlab.com/zzamboni/ox-leanpub) to MELPA, and I received
feedback [1] about the discrepancy between the package names
(ox-leanpub-*) and the functions they define (org-leanpub-*). This is
also flagged by =package-lint=.

[1] https://github.com/melpa/melpa/pull/6942

I based these names on what I've observed in existing exporters - e.g.
ox-hugo, ox-latex, ox-reveal and most others define functions named
org-hugo-*, org-latex-*, org-reveal-* respectively.

I wouldn't mind renaming the package to org-leanpub, but I worry
whether this would affect its discoverability, and to diverge from
existing convention for exporter packages.

I would appreciate any feedback about this - what are strong arguments
for or against insisting in this convention vs just adapting to the
rules suggested by package-lint?

Thanks in advance,
--Diego

* Re: ox-* vs org-* naming convention?
@ 2020-06-07 20:53 ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2020-06-07 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Zamboni; +Cc: Org-mode

Hello,

This came up when I submitted ox-hugo to Melpa as well[1].

I stayed with the norm.. naming the package ox-hugo, but naming all the
functions and variables with org-hugo-* prefix.

[1] https://github.com/purcell/package-lint/issues/89

* Re: ox-* vs org-* naming convention?
@ 2020-06-08  5:54 ` Jens Lechtenboerger
From: Jens Lechtenboerger @ 2020-06-08  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Zamboni; +Cc: Org-mode

On 2020-06-07, Diego Zamboni wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am working on submitting a new set of exporters I've been working on
> (https://gitlab.com/zzamboni/ox-leanpub) to MELPA, and I received
> feedback [1] about the discrepancy between the package names
> (ox-leanpub-*) and the functions they define (org-leanpub-*). This is
> also flagged by =package-lint=.
>
> [1] https://github.com/melpa/melpa/pull/6942
>
> [...]
>
> I would appreciate any feedback about this - what are strong arguments
> for or against insisting in this convention vs just adapting to the
> rules suggested by package-lint?

Hi there,

for org-re-reveal, I use a small wrapper ox-re-reveal.el [2], whose
commentary explains this:

;; Org export back-ends have file names starting with "ox-".
;; However, such files typically define variables and functions
;; starting with "org-", which causes errors by package-lint.  To
;; define variables and functions with the usual prefix "org-" while
;; avoiding errors by package-lint, code is located in
;; org-re-reveal.el.
;; However, the prefix "ox-" is hard-coded in org.el and used to load
;; back-ends in `org-export-backends'.  With this file, you can
;; customize `org-export-backends' and add `re-reveal'.  Then, when
;; pressing `C-c C-e', this file will be loaded, which loads
;; org-re-reveal.el.

Best wishes
Jens

[2] https://gitlab.com/oer/org-re-reveal/-/blob/master/ox-re-reveal.el

* Re: ox-* vs org-* naming convention?
@ 2020-06-08  6:57   ` Diego Zamboni
From: Diego Zamboni @ 2020-06-08  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Zamboni, Org-mode

Hi Kaushal and Jens,

Thanks for your feedback, and also for the idea for the workaround
used in ox-re-reveal - that's a nice one :)

Given the special meanings of both the org- and ox- prefixes, I will
insist on keeping the current naming, and maybe take a stab at coming
up with a PR for https://github.com/purcell/package-lint/issues/89.

Cheers,
--Diego

@ 2020-06-09 19:13     ` Diego Zamboni
From: Diego Zamboni @ 2020-06-09 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaushal Modi, lechten; +Cc: Org-mode

Hi again,

> Given the special meanings of both the org- and ox- prefixes, I will
> insist on keeping the current naming, and maybe take a stab at coming
> up with a PR for https://github.com/purcell/package-lint/issues/89.

I submitted a PR to allow certain package-to-symbol prefix mappings in
package-lint: https://github.com/purcell/package-lint/pull/177

Feel free to comment!

@ 2020-06-10 16:57       ` Diego Zamboni
From: Diego Zamboni @ 2020-06-10 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaushal Modi, lechten; +Cc: Org-mode

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update: issue
https://github.com/purcell/package-lint/issues/89 submitted by Kaushal
has been closed through the PR I submitted, so now package-lint
officially accepts "org-" symbols in "ox-" and "ob-" packages :)

--Diego

@ 2020-06-10 18:00         ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2020-06-10 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Zamboni; +Cc: lechten, Org-mode

Hello Diego,

That's great! Thanks for your PR.

@ 2020-09-03 10:09         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-09-03 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Zamboni; +Cc: lechten, Org-mode, Kaushal Modi

Hi Diego,

Diego Zamboni <diego@zzamboni.org> writes:

> Just a quick update: issue
> https://github.com/purcell/package-lint/issues/89 submitted by Kaushal
> has been closed through the PR I submitted, so now package-lint
> officially accepts "org-" symbols in "ox-" and "ob-" packages :)

Thanks for taking care of this!

--
 Bastien