emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* [org-cite] request for coding help on a capf to insert citation key
@ 2021-06-05 16:13 Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2021-06-05 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode-email

I've been struggling with this for a while, and am a mediocre programmer,
so thought I'd ask for help here.

I started out writing this generate capf to insert citation keys, but have
decided to make it specific to org-cite.

Here's the commented function.

TIA.

Note the "candidates" variable accesses a cached alist, of the form:

("long search string with title, author, etc." . "citekey")

So I want the user to be able to select on the car, but insert the cdr.

(defun bibtex-actions-complete-key-at-point-oc ()
    "Complete org-cite citation key at point.

When inserting '@' in a buffer the capf UI will present user with
a list of entries, from which they can narrow against a string
which includes title, author, etc., and then select one.  This
function will then return the key 'key', resulting in '@key' at
point."
    ;; FIX exit-function is wrong; results in "no match"
    ;; TODO tighten this regex for org-cite
  (when (looking-back "@[a-zA-Z]+" 5)
    (let* ((candidates (bibtex-actions--get-candidates))
           (begin (save-excursion (backward-word) (point)))
           (end (point)))
      (list begin end candidates :exclusive 'no
            :exit-function
            (lambda (chosen status)
              (when (eq status 'finished)
                (cdr (assoc chosen candidates))))))))

* Re: [org-cite] request for coding help on a capf to insert citation key
@ 2021-06-05 21:14 ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2021-06-05 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode-email

Round 2, which should address the "regex" todo.

(defun bibtex-actions-complete-key-at-point-oc ()
    "Complete org-cite citation key at point.

When inserting '@' in a buffer the capf UI will present user with
a list of entries, from which they can narrow against a string
which includes title, author, etc., and then select one.  This
function will then return the key 'key', resulting in '@key' at
point."
    ;; FIX exit-function is wrong; results in "no match"
  (when (and (eq major-mode 'org-mode)
             (eq (car (org-element-context)) 'citation))

@ 2021-06-06 16:21   ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2021-06-06 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode-email

One other idea, Nicolas:

Is there room to include a org-cite somehow, so that one had a defcustom like:

(setq org-cite-complete-key-candidates my-candidates)
;; here override default with results from my package
(setq my-candidates (bibtex-actions--get-candidates))

... and default could be some simple thing in oc-basic?

If not, totally fine of course, but I thought I'd mention it as I'm
trying to figure this out.

Bruce

@ 2021-06-21 14:16 ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2021-06-21 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode-email

On Sat, Jun 5, 2021 at 12:13 PM Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been struggling with this for a while, and am a mediocre programmer, so thought I'd ask for help here.

I made progress on this, with one question, for Nicolas:

What's the best way to constrain the capf?

Idea is if a user is within a citation, and types "@a", it activates.

Here's what I have now, but it's too tight; I'm assuming that second
line is the issue.

  (when (and (eq major-mode 'org-mode)
             (eq (car (org-element-context)) 'citation)
             (looking-back "@[a-zA-Z]*" 5))

Bruce