emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* CDATA auto aggregation
@ 2021-11-24 17:58 Diego Rodriguez
From: Diego Rodriguez @ 2021-11-24 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am customizing my org-mode installation but there is something that I
don't understand.

When I execute the following statement:

```
(setq org-html-mathjax-template

"
<script type=\"text/x-mathjax-config\">
    MathJax.Hub.Config({
        displayAlign: \"%ALIGN\",
        displayIndent: \"%INDENT\",
        \"HTML-CSS\": { scale: %SCALE,
                        linebreaks: { automatic: \"%LINEBREAKS\" },
                        webFont: \"%FONT\"
                       },
        SVG: {scale: %SCALE,
              linebreaks: { automatic: \"%LINEBREAKS\" },
              font: \"%FONT\"},
        NativeMML: {scale: %SCALE},
        TeX: { equationNumbers: {autoNumber: \"%AUTONUMBER\"},
               MultLineWidth: \"%MULTLINEWIDTH\",
               TagSide: \"%TAGSIDE\",
               TagIndent: \"%TAGINDENT\"
        }
    });
</script>
<script src=\"%PATH\"></script>
")
```

A `CDATA` tag gets appended in my HTML export as shown below:

```html
  <script type="text/x-mathjax-config">
<![CDATA[
    mathjax.hub.config({
        displayalign: "center",
        displayindent: "0em",
        "html-css": { scale: 100,
                        linebreaks: { automatic: "false" },
                        webfont: "TeX"
                       },
        svg: {scale: 100,
              linebreaks: { automatic: "false" },
              font: "TeX"},
        nativemml: {scale: 100},
        tex: { equationnumbers: {autonumber: "AMS"},
               multlinewidth: "85%",
               tagside: "right",
               tagindent: ".8em"
        }
    });
  ]]>
  </script>
  <script src=
  "
https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/mathjax/2.7.0/MathJax.js?config=TeX-AMS_HTML
"
  type="text/javascript">
</script>
```

As you can see above, when I set the variable I have no CDATA tag on it.
Where does this tag come from? The problem is that the CDATA tag messes up
with the MathJax configuration parser, as it expects a JavaScript script
inside. But, instead, it finds a CDATA tag that, while it might be valid
according to W3, the MathJax parser throws an `eval` error in the console
since it tries to parse the body of that HTML node.

Where does this CDATA tag gets added automatically and how can I modify
this behavior?

Diego Rodriguez.

* Re: CDATA auto aggregation
@ 2021-11-27  0:54 ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2021-11-27  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Diego Rodriguez <diego.vincent.rodriguez@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am customizing my org-mode installation but there is something that I don't understand.
>
> When I execute the following statement:
>
> ```
> (setq org-html-mathjax-template
>
> "
> <script type=\"text/x-mathjax-config\">
>     MathJax.Hub.Config({
>         displayAlign: \"%ALIGN\",
>         displayIndent: \"%INDENT\",
>         \"HTML-CSS\": { scale: %SCALE,
>                         linebreaks: { automatic: \"%LINEBREAKS\" },
>                         webFont: \"%FONT\"
>                        },
>         SVG: {scale: %SCALE,
>               linebreaks: { automatic: \"%LINEBREAKS\" },
>               font: \"%FONT\"},
>         NativeMML: {scale: %SCALE},
>         TeX: { equationNumbers: {autoNumber: \"%AUTONUMBER\"},
>                MultLineWidth: \"%MULTLINEWIDTH\",
>                TagSide: \"%TAGSIDE\",
>                TagIndent: \"%TAGINDENT\"
>         }
>     });
> </script>
> <script src=\"%PATH\"></script>
> ")
> ```
>
> A `CDATA` tag gets appended in my HTML export as shown below:
>
> ```html
>   <script type="text/x-mathjax-config">
> <![CDATA[
>     mathjax.hub.config({
>         displayalign: "center",
>         displayindent: "0em",
>         "html-css": { scale: 100,
>                         linebreaks: { automatic: "false" },
>                         webfont: "TeX"
>                        },
>         svg: {scale: 100,
>               linebreaks: { automatic: "false" },
>               font: "TeX"},
>         nativemml: {scale: 100},
>         tex: { equationnumbers: {autonumber: "AMS"},
>                multlinewidth: "85%",
>                tagside: "right",
>                tagindent: ".8em"
>         }
>     });
>   ]]>
>   </script>
>   <script src=
>   "https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/mathjax/2.7.0/MathJax.js?config=TeX-AMS_HTML"
>   type="text/javascript">
> </script>
> ```
>
> As you can see above, when I set the variable I have no CDATA tag on it. Where does this tag come from? The problem is that the
> CDATA tag messes up with the MathJax configuration parser, as it expects a JavaScript script inside. But, instead, it finds a CDATA tag
> that, while it might be valid according to W3, the MathJax parser throws an `eval` error in the console since it tries to parse the body of
> that HTML node.
>
> Where does this CDATA tag gets added automatically and how can I modify this behavior?

Unfortunately, I don't know precisely where that tag gets added from. I
suspect it could be related to the ox-html stuff, which is still based
on xhtml rather than html5. I did suggest some months back that it was
probably about time we updated to export as html5 rather than the now
deprecated xhtml, but there were a few who felt that this would result
in the loss of key functionality they wanted to maintain.

We probably should consider moving the existing ox-html to an ox-xhtml
and implementing a new ox-html that is based on html5.