Colin: The beauty of smart quotes is that I don't have to see the ugly LaTeX formatting in my org file, but the final document has the corresponding opening and closing quote characters. While I do sprinkle some LaTeX here and there in my org files, I think that would be going a little too far for my taste. Thanks anyway! Martin On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 12:22 PM Colin Baxter wrote: > >>>>> Martin Alsinet writes: > > > > #+TITLE: Smart quotes example #+OPTIONS: toc:nil ':t #+LANGUAGE: > > en #+LATEX_CLASS: book She said to me: "Rick screamed, 'let's go > > together'" > > > This gets exported to TeX as: > > > She said to me: ``Rick screamed, `let's go together''' > > > Which gets rendered as PDF as: > > > The order of the closing quotes is wrong > > > The order of the closing quotes gets reversed, it first closes the > > outside double quotes and then the nested single quote. > > > I have tried leaving a space between them, but that is arguably > > worse > > > Org: > > > She said to me: "Rick screamed, 'let's go together' " > > > TeX: > > > She said to me: ``Rick screamed, `let's go together' " > > > PDF: > > > Internal quotes are ok, closing double quote is wrong > > > In this case, the internal single quotes are rendered correctly, > > but the closing quote is not converted into its "smart" version. > > > If the nested quotes are in such a way that there are other > > characters between the quotes, that is they are not together at > > the start or the end of the quote, they get rendered correctly. > > > Thanks in advance > > > Martin > > What about > > She said to me: \lq\lq Rick screamed, \lq let's go together\rq\nbsp{}\rq\rq > > > -- > Colin Baxter > m43cap@yandex.com >