Hello Nick. First, thank you so much for your detailed answer. On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 2:16 PM Nick Dokos wrote: > > This example has the additional problem of the apostrophe in "let's", which > basically causes more mayhem. Let's simplify the example a bit by > considering > > She said to me: "Rick screamed, 'let us go together'" > > which when export to TeX becomes: > > She said to me: ``Rick screamed, `let us go together''' > > and TeX misinterprets the three closing single quotes as (closing > double quote, closing single quote) instead of (closing single quote, > closing double quote). > > I was beginning to suspect that, I didn't see it at first, but after writing and explaining the problem, it dawned on me that it could be LaTeX that cannot correctly parse the three consecutive single quotes. > > > > Internal > > > > In this case, the internal single quotes are rendered correctly, but the > closing quote is not converted into its "smart" version. > > > > If the nested quotes are in such a way that there are other characters > between the quotes, that is they are not together at the start or the end > of the quote, they get rendered correctly. > > I'm not sure whether smart quotes can be made smarter, perhaps by > detecting the problem and inserting the small space \, to resolve the > ambiguity; but the manual space solution should have worked: what > version of org are you using? > > FWIW, mine is latest master: Org mode version 9.1.2 > (release_9.1.2-84-geeaf9a @ /home/nick/src/emacs/org/org-mode/lisp/) > I am using Org mode version 8.2.10, I will update my version and try again. Martin