emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
From: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com>
To: Gerardo Moro <gerardomoro37@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Archiving repeated tasks under corresponding date tree for each repeated item
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2020 18:27:40 +0800	[thread overview]

> Hope it is clear now, thanks so much for any help!

Sorry for not making my previous email more clear. I actually understood
what you want to achieve. My suggestion was rather an alternative
approach to "revisit the past" - you can always build agenda view for a
specific date (or range of dates) in the past. That way, you would not
need to look into archive file manually at all.

On your actual question, I think I found some old reddit comment [1] that
may be relevant. The code provides a new command to archive an org
headline without actually deleting it. That way, you will get a copy of
your headline on the date of archival. Below is the original code with
me adding docstrings for more clarity.

(defun my/org-archive-delete-logbook ()
"Delete LOGBOOK of the entry at point. It is obsolete once the copy of
the item is moved to the archive file."
  (save-excursion
   (org-end-of-meta-data)
   (let ((elm (org-element-at-point)))
     (when (and
            (equal (org-element-type elm) 'drawer)
            (equal (org-element-property :drawer-name elm) "LOGBOOK"))
       (delete-region (org-element-property :begin elm)
                      (org-element-property :end elm))))))

(defun my/org-archive-without-delete ()
"Archive item at point, but do not actually delete it."
  (cl-letf (((symbol-function 'org-cut-subtree) (lambda () nil)))
    (org-archive-subtree)))

(defun my/org-archive-logbook ()
"Create an archive copy of subtree at point and delete LOGBOOK in the
first headline of the subtree."
  (interactive)
  (my/org-archive-without-delete)
  (my/org-archive-delete-logbook))

I think you can modify the last function and call it in
org-trigger-hook, so that repeating items would be archived without
deleting every time you mark the item DONE.

[1] https://old.reddit.com/r/orgmode/comments/dg43hs/can_i_archive_a_property_drawer/f3frk2n/

Best,
Ihor