emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Filter to put decorative initial letters
@ 2022-01-07  0:41 Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2022-01-07  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: orgmode

Hi,

These past holidays I've been experimenting with some little useful, but
fun stuff. This is an export filter to put a decorative initial letter
in the first paragraphs of the first level sections, using the LaTeX
package lettrine (https://www.ctan.org/pkg/lettrine).

A screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/mLQVHFC.png

#+BIND: org-export-filter-parse-tree-functions (lettrine)

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :exports results :results none
  (defun lettrine (tree backend info)
    (when (org-export-derived-backend-p backend 'latex)
      (org-element-map tree 'headline
	(lambda (section)
	  (when (eq 1 (org-element-property :level section))
	    (let* ((contents (org-element-interpret-data (org-element-contents section)))
		   (lettrine-opt (org-export-get-node-property :LETTRINE_OPTIONS section t))
		   (contents-lettrine (with-temp-buffer
					(insert contents)
					(save-excursion
					  (goto-char (point-min))
					  (re-search-forward "\\(\\b.\\)\\([^\s]+\\b\\)" nil t)
					  (replace-match (concat "\\\\lettrine"
								 (if lettrine-opt (format "[%s]"
											  lettrine-opt) "")
								 "{" "\\1" "}" "{" "\\2" "}")
							 t nil)
					  (org-element-parse-buffer)))))
	      (apply #'org-element-set-contents
		     section
		     (list contents-lettrine)))))
	info)
      tree))
#+end_src

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

* Re: Filter to put decorative initial letters
@ 2022-01-11  0:43 ` William Denton
From: William Denton @ 2022-01-11  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Manuel Macías; +Cc: orgmode

On 7 January 2022, Juan Manuel Macías wrote:

> These past holidays I've been experimenting with some little useful, but
> fun stuff. This is an export filter to put a decorative initial letter
> in the first paragraphs of the first level sections, using the LaTeX
> package lettrine (https://www.ctan.org/pkg/lettrine).
>
> A screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/mLQVHFC.png

This is beautiful, and a nice Org hack.  I appreciate the typographical and
design examples you send, and have learned a lot from them.  Thank you.

Bill

--
William Denton
https://www.miskatonic.org/

* Re: Filter to put decorative initial letters
@ 2022-01-11 16:21   ` Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2022-01-11 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Denton; +Cc: orgmode

Hi William,

William Denton writes:

> This is beautiful, and a nice Org hack.  I appreciate the
> typographical and design examples you send, and have learned a lot
> from them.  Thank you.
>
> Bill

Thanks for your kind words, I'm glad you found that code useful.

Best regards,

Juan Manuel