emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* ox-beamer/latex questions
@ 2023-02-28 21:37 Leo Butler
From: Leo Butler @ 2023-02-28 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I have a couple questions about TODO items, cookies and export. I am
unable to find anything the manual that seems relevant. Please see the
attached.

TIA,
Leo

[-- Attachment #2: ox-beamer-q.org --]
[-- Type: text/x-org; name="ox-beamer-q.org", Size: 642 bytes --]

#+TITLE: ox-beamer/latex questions
#+AUTHOR: Leo Butler
#+LATEX_CLASS: beamer
#+LATEX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [presentation]
#+LATEX_COMPILER: lualatex
#+STARTUP: beamer

* TODO [0/1] Outline
** TODO [1/2] Questions
*** DONE                                                            :B_block:
:PROPERTIES:
:BEAMER_env: block
:END:
With =ox-beamer=, =TODO= markers mangle the output. That looks like a bug to me.

*** TODO Filter out cookies
:PROPERTIES:
:BEAMER_act: <2->
:END:
I would like to be able to remove the =TODO= cookies, =[1/2]= and =[0/1]=, on export.
How can I do that?

[-- Attachment #3: ox-beamer-q.pdf --]

* Re: ox-beamer/latex questions
@ 2023-03-01  9:48 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-03-01  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Leo Butler <Leo.Butler@umanitoba.ca> writes:

> I have a couple questions about TODO items, cookies and export. I am
> unable to find anything the manual that seems relevant. Please see the
> attached.

> *** DONE                                                            :B_block:
> :PROPERTIES:
> :BEAMER_env: block
> :END:
> With =ox-beamer=, =TODO= markers mangle the output. That looks like a bug to me.

This is because
 *** DONE :B_block:
is actually parsed as a heading with DONE todo keyword and title
":B_block:". Tag is not recognized.

We probably need to fix it, though I am not sure. It is one of the edge
cases about Org parser.

> I would like to be able to remove the =TODO= cookies, =[1/2]= and =[0/1]=, on export.
> How can I do that?

For cookies, just use stat:nil in OPTIONS. See "13.2 Export Settings"
section of the manual.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: ox-beamer/latex questions
@ 2023-03-01 19:16   ` Leo Butler
From: Leo Butler @ 2023-03-01 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Mar 01 2023, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:

> Leo Butler <Leo.Butler@umanitoba.ca> writes:
>
>> I have a couple questions about TODO items, cookies and export. I am
>> unable to find anything the manual that seems relevant. Please see the
>> attached.
>
>> *** DONE                                                            :B_block:
>> :PROPERTIES:
>> :BEAMER_env: block
>> :END:
>> With =ox-beamer=, =TODO= markers mangle the output. That looks like a bug to me.
>
> This is because
>  *** DONE :B_block:
> is actually parsed as a heading with DONE todo keyword and title
> ":B_block:". Tag is not recognized.
>
> We probably need to fix it, though I am not sure. It is one of the edge
> cases about Org parser.

Ok. I have become addicted to using TODO tags to organize composition of
beamer slides. I often have untitled blocks in the slides, in order to
control the pacing of the presentation.

>> I would like to be able to remove the =TODO= cookies, =[1/2]= and =[0/1]=, on export.
>> How can I do that?
>
> For cookies, just use stat:nil in OPTIONS. See "13.2 Export Settings"
> section of the manual.

Thanks for that. I am not sure how I missed it.

Anyhow, it does not work correctly for subtree export (or I am not
understanding something). The title still includes the cookie. See the
attached.

TIA,
Leo

[-- Attachment #2: ox-beamer-q.org --]
[-- Type: text/x-org; name="ox-beamer-q.org", Size: 1015 bytes --]

#+TITLE: ox-beamer/latex questions
#+AUTHOR: Leo Butler
#+LATEX_CLASS: beamer
#+LATEX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [presentation]
#+LATEX_COMPILER: lualatex
#+STARTUP: beamer

* TODO [1/2] ox-beamer/latex questions
** DONE [1/2] Outline
*** DONE Slide 1                                                    :B_block:
:PROPERTIES:
:BEAMER_env: block
:END:
The =DONE= tag and =[1/2]= cookie should be filtered out by
=stat:nil=. Thanks, Ihor.

*** TODO Slide 2                                                    :B_block:
:PROPERTIES:
:BEAMER_env: block
:END:
However, the title is still mangled when exporting just this heading using =C-c C-e C-s l P= on the heading.

* TODO A second question
** TODO [1/1] Questions
*** DONE                                                            :B_block:
:PROPERTIES:
:BEAMER_env: block
:END:
With =ox-beamer=, =TODO= markers mangle the output. That looks like a bug to me.
Ihor says this is an edge case.

@ 2023-03-01 21:11     ` Leo Butler
From: Leo Butler @ 2023-03-01 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Mar 01 2023, Leo Butler <Leo.Butler@umanitoba.ca> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 01 2023, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:

>> For cookies, just use stat:nil in OPTIONS. See "13.2 Export Settings"
>> section of the manual.
>
> Anyhow, it does not work correctly for subtree export (or I am not
> understanding something). The title still includes the cookie. See the
> attached.

Marking the subtree with `C-c @' before export does result in the cookie
being removed from the title.

Is there an easy explanation why marking the subtree matters? I.e. why
do

C-c @ C-c C-e C-s l P

and

C-c C-e C-s l P

work differently?

Leo

* Re: ox-beamer/latex questions
@ 2023-03-03 15:38     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-03-03 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Leo Butler <Leo.Butler@umanitoba.ca> writes:

>> This is because
>>  *** DONE :B_block:
>> is actually parsed as a heading with DONE todo keyword and title
>> ":B_block:". Tag is not recognized.
>>
>> We probably need to fix it, though I am not sure. It is one of the edge
>> cases about Org parser.
>
> Ok. I have become addicted to using TODO tags to organize composition of
> beamer slides. I often have untitled blocks in the slides, in order to
> control the pacing of the presentation.

I understand. Just need to figure out the best way to alter the syntax.
We should be careful with such things.

>> For cookies, just use stat:nil in OPTIONS. See "13.2 Export Settings"
>> section of the manual.
>
> Thanks for that. I am not sure how I missed it.
>
> Anyhow, it does not work correctly for subtree export (or I am not
> understanding something). The title still includes the cookie. See the
> attached.

That was a rather interesting edge case that triggered a bug in
org-element.el.

Fixed, on main. It was a core function, so I did not risk bugfix.
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=f93cc661c

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: ox-beamer/latex questions
@ 2023-03-03 17:46       ` Leo Butler
From: Leo Butler @ 2023-03-03 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Mar 03 2023, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:

> Leo Butler <Leo.Butler@umanitoba.ca> writes:
>
>>> This is because
>>>  *** DONE :B_block:
>>> is actually parsed as a heading with DONE todo keyword and title
>>> ":B_block:". Tag is not recognized.
>>>
>>> We probably need to fix it, though I am not sure. It is one of the edge
>>> cases about Org parser.
>>
>> Ok. I have become addicted to using TODO tags to organize composition of
>> beamer slides. I often have untitled blocks in the slides, in order to
>> control the pacing of the presentation.
>
> I understand. Just need to figure out the best way to alter the syntax.
> We should be careful with such things.

Understood.

>>> For cookies, just use stat:nil in OPTIONS. See "13.2 Export Settings"
>>> section of the manual.
>>
>> Thanks for that. I am not sure how I missed it.
>>
>> Anyhow, it does not work correctly for subtree export (or I am not
>> understanding something). The title still includes the cookie. See the
>> attached.
>
> That was a rather interesting edge case that triggered a bug in
> org-element.el.
>
> Fixed, on main. It was a core function, so I did not risk bugfix.
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=f93cc661c

Thanks, Ihor.

Leo

* Re: ox-beamer/latex questions
@ 2023-03-22 15:09       ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-03-22 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Leo Butler <Leo.Butler@umanitoba.ca> writes:
>
>>> This is because
>>>  *** DONE :B_block:
>>> is actually parsed as a heading with DONE todo keyword and title
>>> ":B_block:". Tag is not recognized.
>>>
>>> We probably need to fix it, though I am not sure. It is one of the edge
>>> cases about Org parser.

Fixed, on main.
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=20b33106c

--