emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Latex preview + symbolic link + relatvie path bug
@ 2024-07-15 14:22 Emil Vatai
From: Emil Vatai @ 2024-07-15 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

The problem is very nicely described here. If there is a symbolic link to a
directory, such that the original and link are at a different depth in the
filesystem, org-mode latex preview fails.

The bug and how to reproduce (a potential solution to it) can be found here:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2023-10/msg01152.html

Copy of the most relevant part:

>* How to reproduce:*
>
>* 1. Run `mkdir -p ~/a_dir/org'.*
>
>* 2. Run `ln -s ~/a_dir/org ~/docs'.*
>
>* 3. Run `emacs -Q ~/docs/example.org <http://example.org>'.*
>
>* 4. Insert into the file "$2+2=4$", press `C-c C-x C-l', and see that it*
>* does not work.*
>
>* 5. Kill emacs.*
>
>* 6. Run `emacs -Q ~/a_dir/org/example.org <http://example.org>'.*
>
>* 7. Insert into the file "$2+2=4$, press `C-c C-x C-l', and see LaTeX*
>* preview.*

The link describes that one should use file-truename before
file-relative-name. Ergo one possible solution could be adding
file-relativename to a bunch of places, or if org-mode is hardwired to
produce the files into /tmp, maybe relative paths should not be used (as
far as I can tell, the error occurs when it tries to read
../../../tmp/orgtexRANDOM... which is actually /tmp/orgtexRANDOM...)

--
Emil Vatai

* Re: Latex preview + symbolic link + relatvie path bug
@ 2024-07-15 14:32 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-07-15 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emil Vatai; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Emil Vatai <emil.vatai@gmail.com> writes:

> The bug and how to reproduce (a potential solution to it) can be found here:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2023-10/msg01152.html
>
> Copy of the most relevant part:
>
>>* How to reproduce:*
>>
>>* 1. Run `mkdir -p ~/a_dir/org'.*
>>
>>* 2. Run `ln -s ~/a_dir/org ~/docs'.*
>>
>>* 3. Run `emacs -Q ~/docs/example.org <http://example.org>'.*
>>
>>* 4. Insert into the file "$2+2=4$", press `C-c C-x C-l', and see that it*
>>* does not work.*
>>
>>* 5. Kill emacs.*
>>
>>* 6. Run `emacs -Q ~/a_dir/org/example.org <http://example.org>'.*
>>
>>* 7. Insert into the file "$2+2=4$, press `C-c C-x C-l', and see LaTeX*
>>* preview.*

I am unable to reproducing using the latest version of Org mode.
May you please try to upgrade your Org mode version and let me know if
you are still seeing the problem?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Latex preview + symbolic link + relatvie path bug
@ 2024-07-15 14:39   ` Emil Vatai
From: Emil Vatai @ 2024-07-15 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Yepp, that helped. Thanks for checking (my bad for not checking).

Best,

--

@ 2024-07-15 14:44     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-07-15 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emil Vatai; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Emil Vatai <emil.vatai@gmail.com> writes:

> Yepp, that helped. Thanks for checking (my bad for not checking).

Thanks for confirming!
Canceled.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,