emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
From: "Colin Baxter 😺" <m43cap@yandex.com>
To: Timothy <tecosaur@gmail.com>
Cc: , Gyro Funch <gyromagnetic@gmail.com>, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [BUG] Prefer lowercase #+results [9.5.2 (release_9.5.2-3-geb9f34 @ /Users/salutis/src/emacs/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/)]
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 15:31:29 +0000	[thread overview]

    > Hi Gyro,
    >> Consider Emerson’s quote:
    >>
    >> “A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored
    >> by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With
    >> consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do.”

    > I think applying a quote about how societal expectations and norms
    > can limit the capacity for greatness of individuals, to …
    > capitalisation is a bit of a stretch.

    > FWIW, I think it would be good to be internally
    > consistent. #+RESULTS is currently one of the few keywords
    > inserted in upper case. Unless there’s a good reason to
    > distinguish it from other keywords (perhaps an argument could be
    > made that it should be treated differently because it is usually
    > generated, not inserted by the user?), I’d be in favour of
    > changing the default to be consistent.

What is the point of changing a default? Users can change to whatever
they like, but a default is a default - i.e. remains fixed. Why a
particular default arose belongs to peculiarities of history. Do people
really want to revisit this year after year? The value of a
default is irrelevant: what is important is that it does not change,
once it is chosen, without some very good reason. I have not seen that
reason in this particular case. The arguments of consistency are
ephemeral.