Tim Cross writes: >>> What probably needs clarifying is >>> >>> 1. mention the string option in the manual >> >> It is documented in the manual: 13.9.4 HTML preamble and postamble >> > > You snipped out the relevant paragraph I copied from the manual. If you > look at it, you will see that it does not mention string as an option > for org-html-postamble. I see. I tried to clarify similarities and differences between pre- and postamble in the manual. See the attached. > Furthermore, the previous paragraph, which talks > about org-html-preamble, which does mention string, states that if the > string matches the name of a function, it will be called 9and expected > to return a string). That's wrong on the manual part. `org-html-preamble' can be set to a function. When it is set to string, the string is only treated as a format string. No function names. See the attached patches. > This is not mentioned at all in the doc string for > org-html-postamble. Fixed in the attached. > Therefore, I still think there is inconsistency between what the doc > string of the variable states and what the manual states. There is no > mention of function matching against strings in the cod string of the > variable. There is no mention of string as an option in the paragraph > referring to org-html-postamble in the manual. I hope I clarified the actual situation in the attached patches. Also, I fixed the actual code allowing org-html-preamble to be set to 'auto (the same code is used to format preamble and postamble). It does not make sense. >>> 2. If spaces are not allowed in the string, clearly document >>> that. Currently, the doc string just says that if set to a string, use >>> that string as the postamble, which I think implies spaces are OK. >> >> They are allowed. It is just #+OPTIONS keyword that does not allow >> strings as values. I have no idea why. > > This is all an aside to the actual bug, so please don't miss that > (unless it has been fixed) i.e. a org-html-postamble string with a space > in it does not work. I am confused here. The original bug talked specifically about situation like #+options: html-postamble:"test with spaces" Are you saying that you cannot have spaces in org-html-postamble variable? If yes, could you please provide a reproducer?