emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
From: Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
To: Spencer Baugh <sbaugh@catern.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: HTML export uses anchor ids which change on every export
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2021 14:19:00 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello,

Spencer Baugh <sbaugh@catern.com> writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:
>> No, for public links, CUSTOM_ID is the only sane way to handle this.
>> Even "sec-2" could betray you if you slightly modify the document.
>
> I understand and agree. However, "sec-2" is strictly better than the
> current situation in terms of link stability: There are many document
> modifications that don't change "sec-2", and there are no document
> modifications that don't change the current id format.
>
> If some user likes link stability a litle bit, but not enough to add
> CUSTOM_ID to every single heading, then providing some option to
> generate ids like "sec-2", which are stable in some situations for very
> little cost, is good for that user.

I disagree. "sec-2" is not "strictly better". Actually, long ago, Org
used "sec-2", or "outline-2", but we got bug reports about that (in
particular, it broke publishing) too. A weaker poison is no healthier.

Please note that, if you're exporting again and again the same document,
you ought to publish it, in which case referenced links are stable.

Also, not too long ago, Timothy had a different suggestion for the
internal link stability problem. One idea to move forward could be to
provide a defcustom to let users use whatever function they want to
generate internal links. I think, however, it might be tricky to have
that function handle properly duplicates.

Regards,
--
Nicolas Goaziou