emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Org ELPA: does not include 9.5 as expected, archives appear largely identical?
@ 2021-11-19 20:16 Damian
From: Damian @ 2021-11-19 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

https://www.orgmode.org/Changes.html indicates that the Org ELPA should
include 9.5, but currently that does not appear to be the case:
https://orgmode.org/elpa/ only has 9.4.6. Could 9.5 be included to match
the documentation? Or is there something I am missing?

https://orgmode.org/elpa/ has archives from '20210726' to '20210920',
but all of the files report the exact same size of 6461440. I examined
'org-20210726.tar' and 'org-20210920.tar', and their org.el files both
indicate version '9.4.6', and most files are identical with the
exception of 'org-keys.el', 'org-pkg.el', 'org-version.el', and
'orgcard.pdf' (only 'org-keys.el' has any functional changes). This
seems suspicious, but I'm not familiar with org releases.

Thanks,

-Damian

* Re: Org ELPA: does not include 9.5 as expected, archives appear largely identical?
@ 2021-11-20  3:51 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2021-11-20  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damian; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Damian <ddtest@gmail.com> writes:

> https://www.orgmode.org/Changes.html indicates that the Org ELPA should
> include 9.5, but currently that does not appear to be the case:
> https://orgmode.org/elpa/ only has 9.4.6. Could 9.5 be included to match
> the documentation? Or is there something I am missing?

FYI, Org ELPA is no longer used to distribute newer versions of Org. See
https://list.orgmode.org/87blb3epey.fsf@gnu.org/ or
https://orgmode.org/Changes.html

Please use GNU ELPA to update Org from now on
(https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/org.html).

Best,
Ihor

* Re: Org ELPA: does not include 9.5 as expected, archives appear largely identical?
@ 2021-11-20  4:45   ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2021-11-20  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damian; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode

> FYI, Org ELPA is no longer used to distribute newer versions of Org. See

Hmm. I missed that we promised Org 9.5 to be distributed via old
channels. I confirm that Org 9.5 is missing from Org ELPA.

Bastien, should we package Org 9.5 to Org ELPA?

Best,
Ihor

* Re: Org ELPA: does not include 9.5 as expected, archives appear largely identical?
@ 2021-11-20 18:45     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2021-11-20 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Damian, emacs-orgmode

Hi Ihor,

> Hmm. I missed that we promised Org 9.5 to be distributed via old
> channels. I confirm that Org 9.5 is missing from Org ELPA.

Sorry for that.  The *tar files were actually built when 9.5 came out,
but somehow uploaded to the wrong directory.

> Bastien, should we package Org 9.5 to Org ELPA?

Done, thanks a lot for the heads up!

--
 Bastien

* Re: Org ELPA: does not include 9.5 as expected, archives appear largely identical?
@ 2021-11-20 19:06       ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2021-11-20 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Damian, emacs-orgmode, Ihor Radchenko

Hello,

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Bastien, should we package Org 9.5 to Org ELPA?
>
> Done, thanks a lot for the heads up!

While we're at it… maybe a 9.5.1 release is in order? Just sayin'…

Regards,
--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Org ELPA: does not include 9.5 as expected, archives appear largely identical?
@ 2021-11-21  7:33         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2021-11-21  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Damian, emacs-orgmode, Ihor Radchenko

Hi Nicolas,

> While we're at it… maybe a 9.5.1 release is in order? Just sayin'…

Org 9.5.1 is planned to be the last stable version before the final
merge into the Emacs 28 branch, so I will ping the Emacs maintainers
first -- thanks for the reminder!

--
 Bastien

* Re: Org ELPA: does not include 9.5 as expected, archives appear largely identical?
@ 2021-11-21 10:45           ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2021-11-21 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Damian, emacs-orgmode, Ihor Radchenko

Hello,

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Org 9.5.1 is planned to be the last stable version before the final
> merge into the Emacs 28 branch, so I will ping the Emacs maintainers
> first -- thanks for the reminder!

Another possibility is to release Org 9.5.1 and make Org 9.5.2 (or
9.5.3, or...) the last stable version. I.e., we don't need to delay
artificially the release (but we may delay this one for other reasons,
obviously).

WDYT?

Regards,
--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Org ELPA: does not include 9.5 as expected, archives appear largely identical?
@ 2021-11-22  5:05             ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2021-11-22  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Damian, emacs-orgmode, Ihor Radchenko

Hi Nicolas,

>> Org 9.5.1 is planned to be the last stable version before the final
>> merge into the Emacs 28 branch, so I will ping the Emacs maintainers
>> first -- thanks for the reminder!
>
> Another possibility is to release Org 9.5.1 and make Org 9.5.2 (or
> 9.5.3, or...) the last stable version. I.e., we don't need to delay
> artificially the release (but we may delay this one for other reasons,
> obviously).

I first wanted to check that it's okay with the Emacs maintainers if
we release new bugfix releases that we don't merge yet into the Emacs
28 branch, so that we can only merge the latest one.  They agreed to
that, so I've now released Org 9.5.1, it should appear in GNU ELPA
in the next hours.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien

* Re: Org ELPA: does not include 9.5 as expected, archives appear largely identical?
@ 2021-11-27 18:53               ` William McCoy
From: William McCoy @ 2021-11-27 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I still don't see Org 9.5.1 on GNU ELPA, just 9.5.  Does it usually take
so long to appear?

Thanks, Bill