emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
From: "Juan Manuel Macías" <maciaschain@posteo.net>
To: orgmode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Smart quotes for Greek (questions for a possible patch)
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 15:06:11 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi,

I would like to submit a patch to add smart quotes for Greek in
`org-export-smart-quotes-alist', but I have a couple of questions.

First of all, I am not a native speaker of Greek but of Spanish, so I
would also like to have the opinion of some Greek native speaker, to see
if my solutions are correct.

The second question concerns the second-level quotation marks for Greek.
The first level ones are the same as the Spanish or French quotes
(without the extra space of French): «», so no problem. I follow here
the rule that Yannis Haralambous explains in "From Unicode to
Typography, a Case Study: the Greek Script" (1999, p. 20:
http://web.archive.org/web/20120229131933/http://omega.enstb.org/yannis/pdf/boston99.pdf).

According to Haralambous, on the second-level quotation marks (the
emphases are mine):

#+begin_quote

Also interesting is the case of the second level quotes. Here, quotes of
the size and shape of the English ones are used, but the opening quotes
are inverted, similar in form to raised small round guillemets [...].
Fortunately these quotes are provided by the Unicode standard (*U+201F*
and U+201D, the latter being the same closing double quotes as in
English); *the author knows no other language in which this combination
of double quotes might be used*.

#+end_quote

So the problem is in the character U+201F (assuming Haralambous is
right). For the keywords `:utf8' and `html' no problem. But I don't know
what to put in `:latex' or in `:texinfo':

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(secondary-opening :utf-8 "‟" :html "&#8223;;" :latex "??" :texinfo "??")
#+end_src

In fact, I think latex2e has no command or shorthand predefined for this
character (see https://ibb.co/ZBGmwYP). There would be no problem with
LuaTeX and XeTeX. But this character would be difficult to obtain in
pdfTeX even using inputenc with the utf8 option.

Best regards,

Juan Manuel