emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* [BUG] org-persist-write-all is slow because of use of pp [9.8-pre (release_9.7.8-713-g62cbac @ /home/viz/lib/emacs/straight/build/org/)]
@ 2024-08-10  5:10 Visuwesh
From: Visuwesh @ 2024-08-10  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Remember to cover the basics, that is, what you expected to happen and
what in fact did happen.  You don't know how to make a good report?  See

     https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback

Your bug report will be posted to the Org mailing list.

I am using the async LaTeX preview branch and org-persist-write-all
takes a lot of time to finish executing due to the use of pp when saving
the index file.  Changing org-persist-write:index to not pass a non-nil
PP argument to org-persist--write-elisp-file changes the execution time
of org-persist-write-all from 62 secs to just 8 secs.  For reference,

    (length org-persist--index) ;; ⇒ 1504

I have attached the profiler report for org-persist--index of much
smaller length but if required I can reproduce a report for the full one
too.

Please let me know if more information is required from my side.  Thank
you.

[-- Attachment #2: org-persist-pp-slow-down.eld --]

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.18.0, Xaw scroll bars)
 of 2024-08-10
Package: Org mode version 9.8-pre (release_9.7.8-713-g62cbac @ /home/viz/lib/emacs/straight/build/org/)

* Re: [BUG] org-persist-write-all is slow because of use of pp [9.8-pre (release_9.7.8-713-g62cbac @ /home/viz/lib/emacs/straight/build/org/)]
  2024-08-10  5:10 [BUG] org-persist-write-all is slow because of use of pp [9.8-pre (release_9.7.8-713-g62cbac @ /home/viz/lib/emacs/straight/build/org/)] Visuwesh
@ 2024-08-10 12:48 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-08-10 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Visuwesh; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Visuwesh <visuweshm@gmail.com> writes:

> I am using the async LaTeX preview branch and org-persist-write-all
> takes a lot of time to finish executing due to the use of pp when saving
> the index file.  Changing org-persist-write:index to not pass a non-nil
> PP argument to org-persist--write-elisp-file changes the execution time
> of org-persist-write-all from 62 secs to just 8 secs.  For reference,
>
>     (length org-persist--index) ;; ⇒ 1504
>
> I have attached the profiler report for org-persist--index of much
> smaller length but if required I can reproduce a report for the full one
> too.

So much for the idea of readable index file.
Fixed, on bugfix.
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=f9351456e7

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

@ 2024-08-10 13:07   ` Visuwesh
From: Visuwesh @ 2024-08-10 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

[சனி ஆகஸ்ட் 10, 2024] Ihor Radchenko wrote:

> Visuwesh <visuweshm@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I am using the async LaTeX preview branch and org-persist-write-all
>> takes a lot of time to finish executing due to the use of pp when saving
>> the index file.  Changing org-persist-write:index to not pass a non-nil
>> PP argument to org-persist--write-elisp-file changes the execution time
>> of org-persist-write-all from 62 secs to just 8 secs.  For reference,
>>
>>     (length org-persist--index) ;; ⇒ 1504
>>
>> I have attached the profiler report for org-persist--index of much
>> smaller length but if required I can reproduce a report for the full one
>> too.
>
> So much for the idea of readable index file.

It is unfortunate, indeed, since the pp version of the file is really
handy when looking into org-persist issues.  Though, I must mention that
the slowness reported in OP is compounded by my fairly aggressive CPU
governor settings (in hopes of improving battery life).

> Fixed, on bugfix.
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=f9351456e7

Thanks for the quick fix!

@ 2024-08-10 13:11     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-08-10 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Visuwesh; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Visuwesh <visuweshm@gmail.com> writes:

>> So much for the idea of readable index file.
>
> It is unfortunate, indeed, since the pp version of the file is really
> handy when looking into org-persist issues.  Though, I must mention that
> the slowness reported in OP is compounded by my fairly aggressive CPU
> governor settings (in hopes of improving battery life).

AFAIK, the underlying cause is bad scaling of `pp' algo. So, it will
only get worse (like O(N^2) worse) with increasing number of index
entries. Different CPU settings will just change the threshold when the
problem is triggered.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,