emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Bug: doc string for "org-end-of-meta-data"
@ 2021-09-15 18:09 Tom Davey
From: Tom Davey @ 2021-09-15 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'emacs-org list'

Hello everybody,

I believe the last paragraph of the doc string for the function
"org-end-of-meta-data" contains an error. That one-sentence paragraph
currently reads:

    When FULL is non-nil but not t, skip planning information,
    clocking lines and only non-regular drawers, i.e. properties
    and logbook drawers.

I believe that should be "regular drawers," not "non-regular drawers." IMO,
the last paragraph could be clearer were it rewritten as follows:

   When FULL is non-nil but not t, skip only planning information,
   clocking lines and regular drawers, i.e. properties and logbook
   drawers. If any non-regular drawers exist and do not follow the
   two regular drawers, stop at the first non-regular drawer instead.

I believe that this expansion of the paragraph corrects the error and adds
coverage of a rare case.

Many thanks to all the developers of Org-mode.

--
Tom Davey
tom@tomdavey.com

* Re: Bug: doc string for "org-end-of-meta-data"
@ 2021-09-15 21:04 ` Marco Wahl
From: Marco Wahl @ 2021-09-15 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Davey; +Cc: 'emacs-org list'

Hello Tom,

> I believe the last paragraph of the doc string for the function
> "org-end-of-meta-data" contains an error. That one-sentence paragraph
> currently reads:
>
>     When FULL is non-nil but not t, skip planning information,
>     clocking lines and only non-regular drawers, i.e. properties
>     and logbook drawers.
>
> I believe that should be "regular drawers," not "non-regular drawers." IMO,
> the last paragraph could be clearer were it rewritten as follows:
>
>    When FULL is non-nil but not t, skip only planning information,
>    clocking lines and regular drawers, i.e. properties and logbook
>    drawers. If any non-regular drawers exist and do not follow the
>    two regular drawers, stop at the first non-regular drawer instead.
>
> I believe that this expansion of the paragraph corrects the error and adds
> coverage of a rare case.

I think the use of the word "regular" is not a good idea in their
documentation of org-end-of-meta-data.  I could not find any occurance
of the term "regular drawer" in the org-info manual.  There is a section
where the property drawer is called "special".

In conclusion I'd say that the logic of the recent documentation is okay
with "regular" meaning "non-special".

Finally I propose to remove completely the categorisation due to
"regular" from the documentation.  Which reads:

     When FULL is non-nil but not t, skip planning information,
     properties, clocking lines and logbook drawers.

WDYT?

* RE: Bug: doc string for "org-end-of-meta-data"
@ 2021-09-15 22:49   ` Tom Davey
From: Tom Davey @ 2021-09-15 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Marco Wahl'; +Cc: 'emacs-org list'

Hi Marco,

You make sense. What you propose to substitute is easier to understand and
concise:

     When FULL is non-nil but not t, skip planning information,
     properties, clocking lines and logbook drawers.

Thank you!

--
Tom Davey
tom@tomdavey.com

@ 2021-09-16  8:51     ` Marco Wahl
From: Marco Wahl @ 2021-09-16  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Davey; +Cc: 'emacs-org list'

Hi Tom,

> You make sense. What you propose to substitute is easier to understand and
> concise:
>
>      When FULL is non-nil but not t, skip planning information,
>      properties, clocking lines and logbook drawers.

Thank you for the report and the confirmation!

I just committed accordingly.

Bye