emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
From: Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [BUG] Prefer lowercase #+results [9.5.2 (release_9.5.2-3-geb9f34 @ /Users/salutis/src/emacs/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/)]
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2022 08:29:56 +1100	[thread overview]

Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com> writes:

> If I remember well, Org decided to suggest with lowercase keywords (and
> use uppercase keywords in the manual, for some reason).  Then, we should
> change "org-babel-results-keyword" from "RESULTS" to "results".
>
> (1) Example #1
>
> #+begin_src R :results verbatim :wrap example
> […]
> #+end_src
>
> #+RESULT: [<--- inconsistent]
> #+begin_example
>
> […]
> #+end_example
>
> (2) Example #2
>
> #+begin_src R :results verbatim :wrap EXAMPLE
> […]
> #+end_src
>

> #+RESULT:
>
> #+begin_EXAMPLE [<---- still inconsistent]
> […]
> #+end_EXAMPLE
>
> P.S. Org should not leak potentially sensitive information, such as
> "/Users/salutis/", in the subject of its bug reports.
>
> Rudy

This is probably a can of worms not worth opening!

From a technical perspective, case does not matter. Originally, the
'styhle' was to use upper case letters for things like #+BEGIN et. al.
(which is probably why they are in upper case in the manual).
Then (I think it was with the change to the code to insert block
markers) there was a change to use #+begin_*. However, I think for those
who reverted to the old block insertion method (now based on tempo), you
still get things in upper case.

The point is, the begin v BEGIN issue is to some extent bordering on
becoming a religious argument and one which is unlikely to gain
consensus. While personally I agree with your point and for consistency,
I think the default should be lower case, it really doesn't matter.
Everyone will have their personal preferences and while it is trivial to
set to your preferred format, it is one of those issues which will
likely generate lots of noise with little resolution.