unofficial mirror of emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* Sole Completion bug?
@ 2021-02-13  5:28 Raoul Comninos
  2021-02-15  4:06 ` Kyle Meyer
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Raoul Comninos @ 2021-02-13  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Orgmode Mailing List

I use org-goto to navigate my org-headings. If I use the *default* settings,
everything works fine. However, if I add the following customization,
my completion options become limited:

(setq org-goto-interface (quote outline-path-completion))

If I now search, for example, for a heading containing the name "Chris",
orgmode will only pick up ONE of the headings that contains this name,
and it will say "sole completion", although there are several other
headings that also contain the name.

For example:

* Chris Bell
* Phone Chris Bell
* Meeting with Chris Bell

I get /Chris Bell [Sole Completion]

I have tested this running Emacs -Q

-- 
Kindest regards,
Raoul Comninos


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Sole Completion bug?
  2021-02-13  5:28 Sole Completion bug? Raoul Comninos
@ 2021-02-15  4:06 ` Kyle Meyer
  2021-02-15  7:39   ` Raoul Comninos
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2021-02-15  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raoul Comninos; +Cc: Orgmode Mailing List

Raoul Comninos writes:

> (setq org-goto-interface (quote outline-path-completion))
>
> If I now search, for example, for a heading containing the name "Chris",
> orgmode will only pick up ONE of the headings that contains this name,
> and it will say "sole completion", although there are several other
> headings that also contain the name.
>
> For example:
>
> * Chris Bell
> * Phone Chris Bell
> * Meeting with Chris Bell
>
> I get /Chris Bell [Sole Completion]

Hmm, isn't this just following the built-in completing-read's behavior?

  (completing-read
   "Prompt: "
   (list "Chris Bell"
         "Phone Chris Bell"
         "Meeting with Chris Bell"))

  ;; `C<tab>` => Chris Bell -> `<tab>` => Chris Bell [Sole completion]



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Sole Completion bug?
  2021-02-15  4:06 ` Kyle Meyer
@ 2021-02-15  7:39   ` Raoul Comninos
  2021-02-16  3:45     ` Kyle Meyer
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Raoul Comninos @ 2021-02-15  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:

> Hmm, isn't this just following the built-in completing-read's behavior?
>
>   (completing-read
>    "Prompt: "
>    (list "Chris Bell"
>          "Phone Chris Bell"
>          "Meeting with Chris Bell"))
>
>   ;; `C<tab>` => Chris Bell -> `<tab>` => Chris Bell [Sole completion]

You may be right. To find all entries with "Chris Bell" I need to add an
asterisk before "Chris" as in "*Chris". So the search is based on
wildcards not regex. Any idea how I may change this behaviour to search
by regex?

-- 
Kindest regards,
Raoul Comninos


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Sole Completion bug?
  2021-02-15  7:39   ` Raoul Comninos
@ 2021-02-16  3:45     ` Kyle Meyer
  2021-02-16  6:58       ` Raoul Comninos
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2021-02-16  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raoul Comninos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Raoul Comninos writes:

> Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:
>
>> Hmm, isn't this just following the built-in completing-read's behavior?
>>
>>   (completing-read
>>    "Prompt: "
>>    (list "Chris Bell"
>>          "Phone Chris Bell"
>>          "Meeting with Chris Bell"))
>>
>>   ;; `C<tab>` => Chris Bell -> `<tab>` => Chris Bell [Sole completion]
>
> You may be right. To find all entries with "Chris Bell" I need to add an
> asterisk before "Chris" as in "*Chris". So the search is based on
> wildcards not regex.

Yeah, I think that's the "*" from the partial-completion style in
completion-styles.

  (info "(emacs)Completion Styles")

> Any idea how I may change this behaviour to search
> by regex?

I'm not aware of a built-in completion style that offers that, but I
haven't used built-in completion for years.  Ivy and, if I recall
correctly, Helm support regexps.  I'd guess other third-party frameworks
do too.


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Sole Completion bug?
  2021-02-16  3:45     ` Kyle Meyer
@ 2021-02-16  6:58       ` Raoul Comninos
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Raoul Comninos @ 2021-02-16  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:

> Raoul Comninos writes:
>
>> Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hmm, isn't this just following the built-in completing-read's behavior?
>>>
>>>   (completing-read
>>>    "Prompt: "
>>>    (list "Chris Bell"
>>>          "Phone Chris Bell"
>>>          "Meeting with Chris Bell"))
>>>
>>>   ;; `C<tab>` => Chris Bell -> `<tab>` => Chris Bell [Sole completion]
>>
>> You may be right. To find all entries with "Chris Bell" I need to add an
>> asterisk before "Chris" as in "*Chris". So the search is based on
>> wildcards not regex.
>
> Yeah, I think that's the "*" from the partial-completion style in
> completion-styles.
>
>   (info "(emacs)Completion Styles")
>
>> Any idea how I may change this behaviour to search
>> by regex?
>
> I'm not aware of a built-in completion style that offers that, but I
> haven't used built-in completion for years.  Ivy and, if I recall
> correctly, Helm support regexps.  I'd guess other third-party frameworks
> do too.
>

Thanks very much.

-- 
Kindest regards,
Raoul Comninos


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2021-02-16  6:59 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 5+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2021-02-13  5:28 Sole Completion bug? Raoul Comninos
2021-02-15  4:06 ` Kyle Meyer
2021-02-15  7:39   ` Raoul Comninos
2021-02-16  3:45     ` Kyle Meyer
2021-02-16  6:58       ` Raoul Comninos

unofficial mirror of emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

This inbox may be cloned and mirrored by anyone:

	git clone --mirror https://yhetil.org/orgmode/0 orgmode/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 orgmode orgmode/ https://yhetil.org/orgmode \
		emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
	public-inbox-index orgmode

Example config snippet for mirrors.
Newsgroups are available over NNTP:
	nntp://news.yhetil.org/yhetil.emacs.orgmode
	nntp://news.gmane.io/gmane.emacs.orgmode


AGPL code for this site: git clone http://ou63pmih66umazou.onion/public-inbox.git