Alen Alex Ninan writes: > 1. Have I made an error in how I define the directory local file? No. > 2. If I have not made and error, Is it possible to define the attachment > directory in directory local variable and have org mode respect the > location when display of inline images are enabled during startup? The problem you are seeing is because Emacs assigns directory-local and buffer-local variables _after_ Org mode (or any other major mode) is loaded. Org startup staff happens during loading before directory-local variables are assigned. Hence error. I've seen multiple issues coming from the above behavior. Hence, I'd like to propose Org to call `hack-local-variables' early during startup. The patch is attached. Best, Ihor