emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Special symbols with monospace
@ 2020-10-15  6:13 Jarmo Hurri
From: Jarmo Hurri @ 2020-10-15  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Greetings.

I like to embed pseudocode etc. in example blocks so that it is typeset
in monospace when exported. But sometimes I would need special symbols,
such as \neq, in pseudocode. What is the easiest way to combine
monospace and special symbols?

Jarmo

* Re: Special symbols with monospace
@ 2020-10-15  6:53 ` Maxim Nikulin
From: Maxim Nikulin @ 2020-10-15  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jarmo Hurri wrote:

> I like to embed pseudocode etc. in example blocks so that it is typeset
> in monospace when exported. But sometimes I would need special symbols,
> such as \neq, in pseudocode. What is the easiest way to combine
> monospace and special symbols?

Is there any problem with UTF-8 symbols such as "≠"? I have typed it using
Compose / =

* Re: Special symbols with monospace
@ 2020-10-15  7:13 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-10-15  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarmo Hurri; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thursday, 15 Oct 2020 at 09:13, Jarmo Hurri wrote:
> I like to embed pseudocode etc. in example blocks so that it is typeset
> in monospace when exported. But sometimes I would need special symbols,
> such as \neq, in pseudocode. What is the easiest way to combine
> monospace and special symbols?

I resort to LaTeX for this, using a LaTeX src block with the algorithm
and algpseudocode packages.

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.4-57-g8402c4

* Re: Special symbols with monospace
@ 2020-10-15  7:46 ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2020-10-15  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

    > Greetings.

    > I like to embed pseudocode etc. in example blocks so that it is
    > typeset in monospace when exported. But sometimes I would need
    > special symbols, such as \neq, in pseudocode. What is the easiest
    > way to combine monospace and special symbols?

    > Jarmo

Would https://github.com/jsalzbergedu/pseudocode-mode be any good?

Best wishes,

Colin Baxter
GnuPG fingerprint: 68A8 799C 0230 16E7 BF68  2A27 BBFA 2492 91F5 41C8

* Re: Special symbols with monospace
@ 2020-10-15  9:30   ` Jarmo Hurri
From: Jarmo Hurri @ 2020-10-15  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi there!

Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

> Would https://github.com/jsalzbergedu/pseudocode-mode be any good?

I will have to explore it. The documentation is almost as thin as my
wallet.

Thanks,

@ 2020-10-15  9:31   ` Jarmo Hurri
From: Jarmo Hurri @ 2020-10-15  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi there.

> I resort to LaTeX for this, using a LaTeX src block with the algorithm
> and algpseudocode packages.

In my case there is a specific pseudocode format I need to use. I think
I would have to try to tune one of these packages pretty heavily.

But I will see. Thanks.

@ 2020-10-15  9:32   ` Jarmo Hurri
From: Jarmo Hurri @ 2020-10-15  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello.

Maxim Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> writes:

> Jarmo Hurri wrote:
>> What is the easiest way to combine monospace and special symbols?
>
> Is there any problem with UTF-8 symbols such as "≠"? I have typed it using
> Compose / =

At least out of the box, the UTF-8 symbol is not exported.

All the best,

@ 2020-10-15 10:17     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-10-15 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarmo Hurri; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thursday, 15 Oct 2020 at 12:31, Jarmo Hurri wrote:
> In my case there is a specific pseudocode format I need to use. I think
> I would have to try to tune one of these packages pretty heavily.

In that case, you may simply wish to use the alltt environment.  This
works for me:

#+begin_src org
  ,* algorithm pseudo code
  ,#+latex_header: \usepackage{alltt}
  ,#+begin_alltt
  for i \in [0,1] do
    if i \neq 3
      x ← i^2
    end if
  end for
  ,#+end_alltt
#+end_src

HTH,
eric

--

@ 2020-10-15 10:37     ` Maxim Nikulin
From: Maxim Nikulin @ 2020-10-15 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jarmo Hurri wrote:
> Maxim Nikulin writes:
>
>> Jarmo Hurri wrote:
>>> What is the easiest way to combine monospace and special symbols?
>>
>> Is there any problem with UTF-8 symbols such as "≠"? I have typed it using
>> Compose / =
>
> At least out of the box, the UTF-8 symbol is not exported.

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(add-to-list 'org-latex-inputenc-alist '("utf8" . "utf8x"))
#+END_SR

* Re: Special symbols with monospace
@ 2020-10-15 11:06       ` Jarmo Hurri
From: Jarmo Hurri @ 2020-10-15 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>> Is there any problem with UTF-8 symbols such as "≠"? I have typed it using
>>> Compose / =
>>
>> At least out of the box, the UTF-8 symbol is not exported.
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
> (add-to-list 'org-latex-inputenc-alist '("utf8" . "utf8x"))
> #+END_SR

Noice!

@ 2020-10-15 11:11       ` Jarmo Hurri
From: Jarmo Hurri @ 2020-10-15 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> In that case, you may simply wish to use the alltt environment.  This
> works for me:
>
> #+begin_src org
>   ,* algorithm pseudo code
>   ,#+latex_header: \usepackage{alltt}
>   ,#+begin_alltt
>   for i \in [0,1] do
>     if i \neq 3
>       x ← i^2
>     end if
>   end for
>   ,#+end_alltt
> #+end_src

Excellent, works for me too.

What a great community!

@ 2020-10-15 15:03       ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2020-10-15 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarmo Hurri; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello Eric,

    > On Thursday, 15 Oct 2020 at 12:31, Jarmo Hurri wrote:
    >> In my case there is a specific pseudocode format I need to use. I
    >> think I would have to try to tune one of these packages pretty
    >> heavily.

    > In that case, you may simply wish to use the alltt environment.
    > This works for me:

    > #+begin_src org ,* algorithm pseudo code ,#+latex_header:
    > \usepackage{alltt} ,#+begin_alltt for i \in [0,1] do if i \neq 3 x
    > ← i^2 end if end for ,#+end_alltt #+end_src

Is there any reason why you don't use LaTeX's \leftarrow in place of ← ?
With perhaps a (set-input-method 'TeX).

Best wishes,

* Re: Special symbols with monospace
@ 2020-10-15 15:21         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-10-15 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Baxter; +Cc: Jarmo Hurri, emacs-orgmode

On Thursday, 15 Oct 2020 at 16:03, Colin Baxter wrote:
> Is there any reason why you don't use LaTeX's \leftarrow in place of ← ?
> With perhaps a (set-input-method 'TeX).

Funnily enough, it's because I was originally using the TeX input method
(which I love) that I ended up with ← instead of \gets... :-)

I had realized that my LaTeX did not understand ∈ when I exported to PDF
and so I changed all (but not all) input to LaTeX and not utf-8
symbols. I missed that line!

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.4-57-g8402c4