emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
From: Simon Butler <simon@floss.nu>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Stable 9.5: invalid function (date date)
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 21:18:37 +0100	[thread overview]

> Tim Loderhose <tim.loderhose@mlprograms.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am also getting this error. It's fixable only by re-installing org from a
>> emacs -q, I assumed because files on the agenda file list are visited
>> before org is fully installed?
>> Unfortunately, this also occurs with a fresh install of Emacs
>> (re-installing all packages), but I'm not sure why. I'd assumed it's
>> because of the agenda file list, but that doesn't exist at that point.
>> I will try these days to get a minimal config to reproduce the issue, and
>> will respond again.
>
> This is a known problem for users loading Org early in their config and
> using non-standard package managers (like straight.el). See
> https://list.orgmode.org/m25ytopjg9.fsf@blind-drunk.fritz.box/
>
> In the linked thread we are also discussing some ways to address this on
> Org side, but no good solution yet. Patches are welcome.

What follows seems a little silly to me, but maybe it points to a clear
reason for someone with greater knowledge.

I've just updated two computers from org 9.4.4 to 9.5.1. Both are
running fedora 35 with emacs 27.2

One of the installations had this problem. There are minor differences
in the .emacs files between the two installations in terms of packages and the
order in which they appear in the file. I also use use-package.

seeing the above advice I revised the order of packages on the machine
with the problem so they were close to the order on the other machine -
mostly before (use-package org ...). Restarted emacs, and the problem was
still present.

I had noticed that the statement

(prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)

appeared in both .emacs files, early in one and towards the end of the
on where the (date date) was seen after M-x org-agenda

after moving (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8) to before the first use of
use-package the problem is gone

best
Simon