emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
From: Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com>
To: Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [bug] org-do-emphasis-faces breaks with incomplete emphasis
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 11:09:26 +1100	[thread overview]

> to answer your question: i expected it to just skip the non-emphasis.
> not emphasizing the rest of the buffer seemed quite unusual.

I guess the problem is the same - how does org know when it is just a *
and when it is the beginning of some emphasis text? We could make it
that such markup only works on words, allowing the code to only consider
two * as emphasis if there are no spaces, otherwise treat as just a *,
but that would be inconvenient when you want to emphasis a phrase or a
couple of words. We could change the regexp to only consider it an
emphasis block if both markers are on the same line, but again,
potentially inconvenient and it would fail for those who use visual-line
mode where there paragraphs are just 1 long line.

In short, can understand what your saying, but not sure there is a
viable fix which doesn't have a heap of other consequences. Basically,
if you want to use the 'markup' characters as normal characters, you
need to either escape them or put them inside a verbatim directive.

--
Tim Cross