emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* wrong-type-argument stringp nil
@ 2021-02-19 14:11 Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2021-02-19 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I getting the Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil) when I 'C-c
C-c' the babel gnuplot source code "poynting", even though the pdf graph
is produced correctly. Any help at debugging would be much appreciated.

#+name: poynting
|  i |      R |    P/M |
|  0 | 0.0400 | 0.4000 |
| 20 | 0.0402 | 0.4240 |
| 40 | 0.0458 | 0.4925 |
| 50 | 0.0572 | 0.5310 |
| 60 | 0.0893 | 0.5720 |
| 65 | 0.1205 | 0.5771 |
| 70 | 0.1710 | 0.5683 |
| 75 | 0.2531 | 0.5329 |
| 80 | 0.3878 | 0.4521 |
| 89 | 0.9044 | 0.0738 |
| 90 | 1.0000 | 0.0000 |
#+begin_src gnuplot :var data=poynting :file poynting.pdf :results file
  set title 'Plot of Data from Table 1'
  show title
  set key at 30,0.8
  unset key
  set xlabel 'Angle'
  set ylabel ''
  set style datapoints
  set style line 1 lc rgb '#0060ad'  # --- blue
  set style line 2 lc rgb '#dd181f'  # --- red
  set label 'P/M' at 10,0.3700
  set label 'R' at 35,0.0855
  plot data using 1:2 with points ls 1, \
  data using 1:2 smooth csplines with lines, \
  data using 1:3 with points ls 2, \
  data using 1:3 smooth csplines with lines
#+end_src

Best wishes,

Colin Baxter.

* Re: wrong-type-argument stringp nil
@ 2021-02-19 15:42 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-02-19 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Baxter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Friday, 19 Feb 2021 at 14:11, Colin Baxter wrote:
> I getting the Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil) when I 'C-c
> C-c' the babel gnuplot source code "poynting", even though the pdf graph
> is produced correctly. Any help at debugging would be much appreciated.

Works fine for me.  No error.  I initially I thought maybe you needed a
horizontal line dividing the headings from the numbers but works fine
without.

What version of org are you using?

You could "M-x toggle-debug-on-error RET" to see where the error
happens?

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.4.4-231-gf46925

* Re: wrong-type-argument stringp nil
@ 2021-02-19 16:31   ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2021-02-19 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear Eric,

    > On Friday, 19 Feb 2021 at 14:11, Colin Baxter wrote:
    >> I getting the Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil) when
    >> I 'C-c C-c' the babel gnuplot source code "poynting", even though
    >> the pdf graph is produced correctly. Any help at debugging would
    >> be much appreciated.

    > Works fine for me.  No error.  I initially I thought maybe you
    > needed a horizontal line dividing the headings from the numbers
    > but works fine without.

    > What version of org are you using?

    > You could "M-x toggle-debug-on-error RET" to see where the error
    > happens?

Found the error! In my ~/.emacs, I have a defun

#+begin_src elisp
(defun cb/display-inline-images ()
  (condition-cl-case nil
      (org-display-inline-images)
    (error nil)))
#+end_src

Changing the 'condition-cl-case' to 'condition-case' removed the
error. Interestingly, debug on error using emacs-27.1 configured for
the lucid pointed explicitly to the defun, whereas emacs-27.1 configured
for gtk3 didn't! Any idea why that should be?

Best wishes,

Colin.