emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* TMIO Pre-release, request for feedback
@ 2021-05-30 17:33 Timothy
From: Timothy @ 2021-05-30 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode-email

Hi Everyone,

As we arrive at the end of May, I'm about to publish the 3rd issue of
/This Month in Org/. I thought I'd share the current draft with the list
the day before I publish to so that those of you who are interested have
the chance to point out any errors, let me know if there's anything I
haven't covered that you'd like to see, along with any other feedback
you may have.

For the next day, you can find the draft at:
https://blog.tecosaur.com/tmio/DRAFT-2021-05-31.html
and then once published it will live at:
https://blog.tecosaur.com/tmio/2021-05-31.html

All the best,

Timothy.

p.s. Based on the response to this, I may or may not keep on doing this.
If you would (or wouldn't) like to see me repeat this, let me know :)

* Re: TMIO Pre-release, request for feedback
@ 2021-05-30 19:42 ` Juan Manuel Macías
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2021-05-30 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy; +Cc: orgmode

Hi Timothy,

Timothy writes:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> As we arrive at the end of May, I'm about to publish the 3rd issue of
> /This Month in Org/. I thought I'd share the current draft with the list
> the day before I publish to so that those of you who are interested have
> the chance to point out any errors, let me know if there's anything I
> haven't covered that you'd like to see, along with any other feedback
> you may have.
>
> For the next day, you can find the draft at:
> https://blog.tecosaur.com/tmio/DRAFT-2021-05-31.html
> and then once published it will live at:
> https://blog.tecosaur.com/tmio/2021-05-31.html

Thank you very much for your excellent work, and for all the effort and
time you put in it. I think your /This Month in Org/ conveys, above all,
something very valuable that all Org users share: an immense and
uncompromising enthusiasm for Org and Emacs :-D

I like the design of the site: very clear and readable.

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

* Re: TMIO Pre-release, request for feedback
@ 2021-05-30 20:43 ` tomas
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: tomas @ 2021-05-30 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy; +Cc: org-mode-email

On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 01:33:08AM +0800, Timothy wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> As we arrive at the end of May, I'm about to publish the 3rd issue of
> /This Month in Org/ [...]

This is *very* nice :-)

Thanks so much.

Cheers
 - t

* Re: TMIO Pre-release, request for feedback
@ 2021-05-31 17:21 ` John Corless
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: John Corless @ 2021-05-31 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy; +Cc: org-mode-email

Timothy,

Thanks for your work on this.  I think it is an excellent resource.

Best regards,

John

On Sun, May 30, 2021 at 12:36 PM Timothy <tecosaur@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> As we arrive at the end of May, I'm about to publish the 3rd issue of
> /This Month in Org/. I thought I'd share the current draft with the list
> the day before I publish to so that those of you who are interested have
> the chance to point out any errors, let me know if there's anything I
> haven't covered that you'd like to see, along with any other feedback
> you may have.
>
> For the next day, you can find the draft at:
> https://blog.tecosaur.com/tmio/DRAFT-2021-05-31.html
> and then once published it will live at:
> https://blog.tecosaur.com/tmio/2021-05-31.html
>
> All the best,
>
> Timothy.
>
> p.s. Based on the response to this, I may or may not keep on doing this.
> If you would (or wouldn't) like to see me repeat this, let me know :)

* Re: TMIO Pre-release, request for feedback
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-06-01 15:27 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-06-01 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy; +Cc: org-mode-email

Timothy,

thank you for this.  Your summaries are very useful.  I find out things
that I somehow missed despite being on the mailing list.

However, there is one item that not only did I miss but I don't see it
in org itself:

* Add support for HHhMM date formats (e.g. 13h20) Gustavo Barros

I would find this quite useful as I hate typing : when entering diary
entries.  Where does this support exist?

Thank you,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.4.6-549-ga0a87d

* Re: TMIO Pre-release, request for feedback
@ 2021-06-01 16:38   ` Timothy
From: Timothy @ 2021-06-01 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: org-mode-email

> Thank you for this.  Your summaries are very useful.  I find out things
> that I somehow missed despite being on the mailing list.

Great to hear!

> However, there is one item that not only did I miss but I don't see it
> in org itself:
>
> * Add support for HHhMM date formats (e.g. 13h20) Gustavo Barros
>
> I would find this quite useful as I hate typing : when entering diary
> entries.  Where does this support exist?

This is for date entry using `org-time-stamp' at the very least. I'm not
sure if anything else is affected.

> Thank you,
> eric

Hope that helps,

Timothy

* Re: TMIO Pre-release, request for feedback
@ 2021-06-02 12:00     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-06-02 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy; +Cc: org-mode-email

On Wednesday,  2 Jun 2021 at 00:38, Timothy wrote:
> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>> I would find this quite useful as I hate typing : when entering diary
>> entries.  Where does this support exist?
>
> This is for date entry using `org-time-stamp' at the very least. I'm not
> sure if anything else is affected.

Ah, yes, it is there for inserting time stamps directly.  Thank you.  In
any case, it would be good if diary functions would also support this.

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.4.6-549-ga0a87d

* Re: TMIO Pre-release, request for feedback
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-06-10  8:32 ` Jeremie Juste
From: Jeremie Juste @ 2021-06-10  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy; +Cc: org-mode-email

Hello Timothy,

On Monday, 31 May 2021 at 01:33, Timothy wrote:

Many thanks for these highlights. I value them very much as even though
I check this list almost everyday, I missed the thread on 'Font lock for inline export snippets'.

Just a precision async process is already available in R. Thanks again
to Jack Kamm for this input.

#+BEGIN_SRC R :session *R* :async yes :eval yes
Sys.sleep(5)
print("I needed 5 sec to run but I didn't freeze emacs")
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
: [1] "I needed 5 sec to run but I didn't freeze emacs"

Best regards,
Jeremie

@ 2021-06-10 12:56   ` Jack Kamm
From: Jack Kamm @ 2021-06-10 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremie Juste, Timothy; +Cc: org-mode-email

Hi Jeremie,

Jeremie Juste <jeremiejuste@gmail.com> writes:

> Just a precision async process is already available in R. Thanks again
> to Jack Kamm for this input.

I believe async evaluation in R still requires my external package:

https://github.com/jackkamm/ob-session-async

Are you sure you don't have that package enabled?

I'm currently blocked on porting the R implementation here, while
awaiting paperwork at my current job (I am making headway, but slowly).

In the meantime, feel free to go ahead and port it, if you like. It
should be a very simple copy-paste, changing 1 or 2 variable names. All
that code was written while at my previous job, which had signed the
copyright disclaimer, so is safe to copy.

You can also refer to my port of async sessions to ob-python, which I
wrote before switching jobs:

https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode/commit/53fd5b774e23406ed351bdb166ab35edd0c44892

https://orgmode.org/list/87h7qi2l2m.fsf@gmail.com/

Best,
Jack

* Re: TMIO Pre-release, request for feedback
@ 2021-06-12 13:38     ` Jeremie Juste
From: Jeremie Juste @ 2021-06-12 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Kamm; +Cc: org-mode-email, Timothy

Hello Jack

On Thursday, 10 Jun 2021 at 05:56, Jack Kamm wrote:
> Hi Jeremie,
>
> Jeremie Juste <jeremiejuste@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Just a precision async process is already available in R. Thanks again
>> to Jack Kamm for this input.
>
> I believe async evaluation in R still requires my external package:
Yes you are right. I used it so much that I wrongly thought is was part
of ob-R already.

@Timothy my apologies you were right all the way, Async is not part of
ob-R but will be soon.

> https://github.com/jackkamm/ob-session-async
>
> Are you sure you don't have that package enabled?
>
> I'm currently blocked on porting the R implementation here, while
> awaiting paperwork at my current job (I am making headway, but
> slowly).
Glad to hear that it is moving in the right direction.

> In the meantime, feel free to go ahead and port it, if you like. It
> should be a very simple copy-paste, changing 1 or 2 variable names. All
> that code was written while at my previous job, which had signed the
> copyright disclaimer, so is safe to copy.
Thanks, I'll will keep you posted.

> You can also refer to my port of async sessions to ob-python, which I
> wrote before switching jobs:
>
> https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode/commit/53fd5b774e23406ed351bdb166ab35edd0c44892
Thanks this is a valuable info, I'll keep that in mind

> https://orgmode.org/list/87h7qi2l2m.fsf@gmail.com/

Best regards,
Jeremie Juste

* Re: TMIO Pre-release, request for feedback
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-06-12 13:58 ` Bill Burdick
From: Bill Burdick @ 2021-06-12 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy; +Cc: org-mode-email

Just saw  this -- this is a great service to the community, thanks for
doing it!

-- Bill

@ 2021-06-12 22:25   ` Cook, Malcolm
From: Cook, Malcolm @ 2021-06-12 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)