emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* org-encode-time bug
@ 2022-07-21 20:54 Morgan Smith
From: Morgan Smith @ 2022-07-21 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I'm using emacs from commit f258f67 (quite recent) and org from commit
39005dc (quite recent).

I'm using native compilation and PGTK.

I was able to reproduce this with 'emacs -Q'

When trying to update a clocktable I get the following backtrace (with a
little bit removed).

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (invalid-function org-encode-time)
  org-encode-time((0 0 0 21 7 2022 4 t -14400))
  org-matcher-time("<2022-07-21 Thu 00:00>")
  org-clock-get-table-data(...)
  org-dblock-write:clocktable(...)
  org-update-dblock()
  org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c(nil)
  funcall-interactively(org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c nil)
  command-execute(org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c)

When I re-evaluate the defun for `org-matcher-time' everything is happy
again.  I'm not sure what the issue is but I assume it's related to
compilation or something.

Thanks,

Morgan

* Re: org-encode-time bug
@ 2022-07-23  2:03 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-07-23  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Morgan Smith; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Morgan Smith <Morgan.J.Smith@outlook.com> writes:

> I'm using emacs from commit f258f67 (quite recent) and org from commit
> 39005dc (quite recent).
>
> I'm using native compilation and PGTK.

> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (invalid-function org-encode-time)
>   org-encode-time((0 0 0 21 7 2022 4 t -14400))
>   org-matcher-time("<2022-07-21 Thu 00:00>")
>   org-clock-get-table-data(...)
>   org-dblock-write:clocktable(...)
>   org-update-dblock()
>   org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c(nil)
>   funcall-interactively(org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c nil)
>   command-execute(org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c)

org-encode-time is defined in org-macs.el in the latest Org, but _not_
in built-in Org. What you are seeing is most likely caused by "mixed"
installation of Org when part of Org is loaded from built-in Org
distribution coming from Emacs.

> I was able to reproduce this with 'emacs -Q'
>
> When trying to update a clocktable I get the following backtrace (with a
> little bit removed).

Could you please detail on what you did to load the latest org with
Emacs -Q? Using purely emacs -Q cannot trigger the error simply because
org-encode-time is absent in the built-in Org.

Best,
Ihor

* Re: org-encode-time bug
@ 2022-07-25 13:24   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2022-07-25 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Morgan Smith <Morgan.J.Smith@outlook.com> writes:
>
>> I'm using emacs from commit f258f67 (quite recent) and org from commit
>> 39005dc (quite recent).
>>
>> I'm using native compilation and PGTK.
>
>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (invalid-function org-encode-time)
>>   org-encode-time((0 0 0 21 7 2022 4 t -14400))
>>   org-matcher-time("<2022-07-21 Thu 00:00>")
>>   org-clock-get-table-data(...)
>>   org-dblock-write:clocktable(...)
>>   org-update-dblock()
>>   org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c(nil)
>>   funcall-interactively(org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c nil)
>>   command-execute(org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c)
>
> org-encode-time is defined in org-macs.el in the latest Org, but _not_
> in built-in Org. What you are seeing is most likely caused by "mixed"
> installation of Org when part of Org is loaded from built-in Org
> distribution coming from Emacs.
>
>> I was able to reproduce this with 'emacs -Q'
>>
>> When trying to update a clocktable I get the following backtrace (with a
>> little bit removed).
>
> Could you please detail on what you did to load the latest org with
> Emacs -Q? Using purely emacs -Q cannot trigger the error simply because
> org-encode-time is absent in the built-in Org.

In my case, it was caused by an update, followed by `make autoloads',
followed by 'org-reload'. That last part is not guaranteed to work,
particularly on the cutting edge, so restarting emacs is sometimes
necessary - as it was in this case. No problems afterwards.

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler

* Re: org-encode-time bug
@ 2022-08-18 12:53   ` Morgan Smith
From: Morgan Smith @ 2022-08-18 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> org-encode-time is defined in org-macs.el in the latest Org, but _not_
> in built-in Org. What you are seeing is most likely caused by "mixed"
> installation of Org when part of Org is loaded from built-in Org
> distribution coming from Emacs.

I was actually seeing https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=56746
so my bug is fixed.  Thank you!

> Could you please detail on what you did to load the latest org with
> Emacs -Q? Using purely emacs -Q cannot trigger the error simply because
> org-encode-time is absent in the built-in Org.

I think this has to do with the GNU Guix site lisp file loading
packages.  I was meaning to look into this to continue to debug this but
I guess I don't have to since it's been fixed.

Thank you,

Morgan