emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* [BUG] Add option for category to be derived from #+TITLE instead of file name [9.6 ( @ /nix/store/jv2kmcbm79k4g6i778hblw98l0pxxghf-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/org-9.6/)]
@ 2022-12-03  7:19 Payas Relekar
From: Payas Relekar @ 2022-12-03  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

After discovering categories
(https://orgmode.org/manual/Categories.html) I'd like to use them
everywhere because it makes agenda cleaner. But currently, it has only
below options to get this value (in order of precedence, highest to lowest)

- #+CATEGORY property (if present)
- file name

While I can set the property in my capture templates, it will only take
effect on newly created files and will not retroactively apply all the
previously created ones.

As such, I'd like to propose adding variable to allow user to specify
whether #+TITLE property should be preferred over #+CATEGORY. The
default can continue as is, but if the user chooses to perfer title,
order of preference will look like (highest to lowest):

- #+TITLE (if present)
- #+ CATEGORY (if present)
- file name

Will something like this be possible?

Thanks,
Payas

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.34, cairo version 1.16.0)
Package: Org mode version 9.6 ( @ /nix/store/jv2kmcbm79k4g6i778hblw98l0pxxghf-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/org-9.6/)

* Re: [BUG] Add option for category to be derived from #+TITLE instead of file name [9.6 ( @ /nix/store/jv2kmcbm79k4g6i778hblw98l0pxxghf-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/org-9.6/)]
@ 2022-12-03  7:31 Payas Relekar
From: Payas Relekar @ 2022-12-03  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Payas Relekar <relekarpayas@gmail.com> writes:

> After discovering categories
> (https://orgmode.org/manual/Categories.html) I'd like to use them
> everywhere because it makes agenda cleaner. But currently, it has only
> below options to get this value (in order of precedence, highest to lowest)
>
> - #+CATEGORY property (if present)
> - file name
>
> While I can set the property in my capture templates, it will only take
> effect on newly created files and will not retroactively apply all the
> previously created ones.
>
> As such, I'd like to propose adding variable to allow user to specify
> whether #+TITLE property should be preferred over #+CATEGORY. The
> default can continue as is, but if the user chooses to perfer title,
> order of preference will look like (highest to lowest):
>
> - #+TITLE (if present)
> - #+ CATEGORY (if present)
> - file name

Actually this is a mistake. It should always prefer explicit property
(#+CATEGORY) over implicit (#+TITLE). So the order should look like (if
the user modifies the variable, highest to lowest):

- #+CATEGORY (if present)
- #+TITLE (if present AND if user sets the variable)
- file name

Apologies for confusion.

Thanks,
Payas