Kyle Meyer writes: > Thanks for the patch! For information about the expected commit message > format, please see . Ah will do, thanks! I'm still learning how to work with the email & patch-based workflow. > Okay, so when eldoc-documentation-functions is defined (Emacs >=28), we > take the first function and go with it. That might not be exactly what > you'd see in the native buffer, depending on whether there are other > members of eldoc-documentation-functions and how they interact. (I'm > being vague, because I don't really know anything about eldoc, but it > seems like that must be the case.) Anyway, I'd guess it will be good > enough in most cases, and it's certainly better than the recursion > error. Ah yes, very true. I've attached another patch, which tries to better preserve how the new eldoc strategy works, by passing through the callback to the mode-local eldoc function if available, which will be a closure over the configured documentation strategy with eldoc-documentation-functions bound to the appropriate mode-local value.