emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* Org ELPA: does not include 9.5 as expected, archives appear largely identical?
@ 2021-11-19 20:16 Damian
  2021-11-20  3:51 ` Ihor Radchenko
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 9+ messages in thread
From: Damian @ 2021-11-19 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

https://www.orgmode.org/Changes.html indicates that the Org ELPA should 
include 9.5, but currently that does not appear to be the case: 
https://orgmode.org/elpa/ only has 9.4.6. Could 9.5 be included to match 
the documentation? Or is there something I am missing?

https://orgmode.org/elpa/ has archives from '20210726' to '20210920', 
but all of the files report the exact same size of 6461440. I examined 
'org-20210726.tar' and 'org-20210920.tar', and their org.el files both 
indicate version '9.4.6', and most files are identical with the 
exception of 'org-keys.el', 'org-pkg.el', 'org-version.el', and 
'orgcard.pdf' (only 'org-keys.el' has any functional changes). This 
seems suspicious, but I'm not familiar with org releases.

Thanks,

-Damian



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: Org ELPA: does not include 9.5 as expected, archives appear largely identical?
  2021-11-19 20:16 Org ELPA: does not include 9.5 as expected, archives appear largely identical? Damian
@ 2021-11-20  3:51 ` Ihor Radchenko
  2021-11-20  4:45   ` Ihor Radchenko
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 9+ messages in thread
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2021-11-20  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damian; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Damian <ddtest@gmail.com> writes:

> https://www.orgmode.org/Changes.html indicates that the Org ELPA should 
> include 9.5, but currently that does not appear to be the case: 
> https://orgmode.org/elpa/ only has 9.4.6. Could 9.5 be included to match 
> the documentation? Or is there something I am missing?

FYI, Org ELPA is no longer used to distribute newer versions of Org. See
https://list.orgmode.org/87blb3epey.fsf@gnu.org/ or
https://orgmode.org/Changes.html

Please use GNU ELPA to update Org from now on
(https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/org.html).

Best,
Ihor



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: Org ELPA: does not include 9.5 as expected, archives appear largely identical?
  2021-11-20  3:51 ` Ihor Radchenko
@ 2021-11-20  4:45   ` Ihor Radchenko
  2021-11-20 18:45     ` Bastien
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 9+ messages in thread
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2021-11-20  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damian; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode

Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> writes:

> FYI, Org ELPA is no longer used to distribute newer versions of Org. See

Hmm. I missed that we promised Org 9.5 to be distributed via old
channels. I confirm that Org 9.5 is missing from Org ELPA.

Bastien, should we package Org 9.5 to Org ELPA?

Best,
Ihor


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: Org ELPA: does not include 9.5 as expected, archives appear largely identical?
  2021-11-20  4:45   ` Ihor Radchenko
@ 2021-11-20 18:45     ` Bastien
  2021-11-20 19:06       ` Nicolas Goaziou
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 9+ messages in thread
From: Bastien @ 2021-11-20 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Damian, emacs-orgmode

Hi Ihor,

Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> writes:

> Hmm. I missed that we promised Org 9.5 to be distributed via old
> channels. I confirm that Org 9.5 is missing from Org ELPA.

Sorry for that.  The *tar files were actually built when 9.5 came out,
but somehow uploaded to the wrong directory.

> Bastien, should we package Org 9.5 to Org ELPA?

Done, thanks a lot for the heads up!

-- 
 Bastien


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: Org ELPA: does not include 9.5 as expected, archives appear largely identical?
  2021-11-20 18:45     ` Bastien
@ 2021-11-20 19:06       ` Nicolas Goaziou
  2021-11-21  7:33         ` Bastien
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 9+ messages in thread
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2021-11-20 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Damian, emacs-orgmode, Ihor Radchenko

Hello,

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Bastien, should we package Org 9.5 to Org ELPA?
>
> Done, thanks a lot for the heads up!

While we're at it… maybe a 9.5.1 release is in order? Just sayin'…

Regards,
-- 
Nicolas Goaziou


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: Org ELPA: does not include 9.5 as expected, archives appear largely identical?
  2021-11-20 19:06       ` Nicolas Goaziou
@ 2021-11-21  7:33         ` Bastien
  2021-11-21 10:45           ` Nicolas Goaziou
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 9+ messages in thread
From: Bastien @ 2021-11-21  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Damian, emacs-orgmode, Ihor Radchenko

Hi Nicolas,

Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:

> While we're at it… maybe a 9.5.1 release is in order? Just sayin'…

Org 9.5.1 is planned to be the last stable version before the final
merge into the Emacs 28 branch, so I will ping the Emacs maintainers
first -- thanks for the reminder!

-- 
 Bastien


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: Org ELPA: does not include 9.5 as expected, archives appear largely identical?
  2021-11-21  7:33         ` Bastien
@ 2021-11-21 10:45           ` Nicolas Goaziou
  2021-11-22  5:05             ` Bastien
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 9+ messages in thread
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2021-11-21 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Damian, emacs-orgmode, Ihor Radchenko

Hello,

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Org 9.5.1 is planned to be the last stable version before the final
> merge into the Emacs 28 branch, so I will ping the Emacs maintainers
> first -- thanks for the reminder!

Another possibility is to release Org 9.5.1 and make Org 9.5.2 (or
9.5.3, or...) the last stable version. I.e., we don't need to delay
artificially the release (but we may delay this one for other reasons,
obviously).

WDYT?

Regards,
-- 
Nicolas Goaziou


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: Org ELPA: does not include 9.5 as expected, archives appear largely identical?
  2021-11-21 10:45           ` Nicolas Goaziou
@ 2021-11-22  5:05             ` Bastien
  2021-11-27 18:53               ` William McCoy
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 9+ messages in thread
From: Bastien @ 2021-11-22  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Damian, emacs-orgmode, Ihor Radchenko

Hi Nicolas,

Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:

>> Org 9.5.1 is planned to be the last stable version before the final
>> merge into the Emacs 28 branch, so I will ping the Emacs maintainers
>> first -- thanks for the reminder!
>
> Another possibility is to release Org 9.5.1 and make Org 9.5.2 (or
> 9.5.3, or...) the last stable version. I.e., we don't need to delay
> artificially the release (but we may delay this one for other reasons,
> obviously).

I first wanted to check that it's okay with the Emacs maintainers if
we release new bugfix releases that we don't merge yet into the Emacs
28 branch, so that we can only merge the latest one.  They agreed to
that, so I've now released Org 9.5.1, it should appear in GNU ELPA
in the next hours.

Thanks!

-- 
 Bastien


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: Org ELPA: does not include 9.5 as expected, archives appear largely identical?
  2021-11-22  5:05             ` Bastien
@ 2021-11-27 18:53               ` William McCoy
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 9+ messages in thread
From: William McCoy @ 2021-11-27 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I still don't see Org 9.5.1 on GNU ELPA, just 9.5.  Does it usually take 
so long to appear?

Thanks, Bill


On 11/22/21 12:05 AM, Bastien wrote:
> Hi Nicolas,
>
> Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:
>
>>> Org 9.5.1 is planned to be the last stable version before the final
>>> merge into the Emacs 28 branch, so I will ping the Emacs maintainers
>>> first -- thanks for the reminder!
>> Another possibility is to release Org 9.5.1 and make Org 9.5.2 (or
>> 9.5.3, or...) the last stable version. I.e., we don't need to delay
>> artificially the release (but we may delay this one for other reasons,
>> obviously).
> I first wanted to check that it's okay with the Emacs maintainers if
> we release new bugfix releases that we don't merge yet into the Emacs
> 28 branch, so that we can only merge the latest one.  They agreed to
> that, so I've now released Org 9.5.1, it should appear in GNU ELPA
> in the next hours.
>
> Thanks!
>


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2021-11-27 18:53 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 9+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2021-11-19 20:16 Org ELPA: does not include 9.5 as expected, archives appear largely identical? Damian
2021-11-20  3:51 ` Ihor Radchenko
2021-11-20  4:45   ` Ihor Radchenko
2021-11-20 18:45     ` Bastien
2021-11-20 19:06       ` Nicolas Goaziou
2021-11-21  7:33         ` Bastien
2021-11-21 10:45           ` Nicolas Goaziou
2021-11-22  5:05             ` Bastien
2021-11-27 18:53               ` William McCoy

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).