emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* S-M-{<UP>,<DOWN>} on CLOCK timestamp
@ 2021-08-21 22:16 Jorge P. de Morais Neto
From: Jorge P. de Morais Neto @ 2021-08-21 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi.  Suppose the buffer has the following text:

* Task A
:LOGBOOK:
CLOCK: [2021-08-21 sáb 18:00]--[2021-08-21 sáb 18:10] =>  0:10
:END:

* Task B
:LOGBOOK:
CLOCK: [2021-08-21 sáb 18:18]
:END:

If I invoke M-S-<down> on Task B's clock-in timestamp, with point right
after the colon that separates HH from MM, then it correctly changes to
18:15 (decreases by three minutes), but Task A's clock-out timestamp
changes to 18:05---decreases by *five* minutes.

In my opinion, in this case the previous clock-out timestamp should not
change at all, because it was already less than 18:15.  But even if you
do think it should change, then surely you at least agree that it should
change by *three* minutes, just like Task A's clock-in timestamp.

This occurs on GNU Emacs 28.0.50 installed with
~guix package --with-branch=emacs-next=master -i emacs-next~
(upgraded last Thursday morning), invoked as ~emacs -Q~.  Note that on
my Guix-installed Emacs, an ~emacs -Q~ does load the emacs-org Guix
package (version 9.4.6).  Note also that my Org Mode has been patched
with Ihor Radchenko's patch to org-clock.el (attached to my previous
message), but it clearly can't influence this problem.

Regards

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.24, cairo version 1.16.0)
Package: Org mode version 9.4.6 (9.4.6-gab9f2a @ /gnu/store/yg6kjzigqyfzbkzj99xmwmv3nssvhvnq-emacs-org-9.4.6/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-9.4.6/)

--
- Disinformation flourishes because many people care about injustice
  but very few check the facts.  Ask me about <https://stallmansupport.org>

* Re: S-M-{<UP>,<DOWN>} on CLOCK timestamp
@ 2021-08-22  1:21 ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2021-08-22  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Jorge P. de Morais Neto" <jorge+list@disroot.org> writes:

> Hi.  Suppose the buffer has the following text:
>
> * Task A
> :LOGBOOK:
> CLOCK: [2021-08-21 sáb 18:00]--[2021-08-21 sáb 18:10] =>  0:10
> :END:
>
> * Task B
> :LOGBOOK:
> CLOCK: [2021-08-21 sáb 18:18]
> :END:
>
> If I invoke M-S-<down> on Task B's clock-in timestamp, with point right
> after the colon that separates HH from MM, then it correctly changes to
> 18:15 (decreases by three minutes), but Task A's clock-out timestamp
> changes to 18:05---decreases by *five* minutes.
>
> In my opinion, in this case the previous clock-out timestamp should not
> change at all, because it was already less than 18:15.  But even if you
> do think it should change, then surely you at least agree that it should
> change by *three* minutes, just like Task A's clock-in timestamp.
>
> This occurs on GNU Emacs 28.0.50 installed with
> ~guix package --with-branch=emacs-next=master -i emacs-next~
> (upgraded last Thursday morning), invoked as ~emacs -Q~.  Note that on
> my Guix-installed Emacs, an ~emacs -Q~ does load the emacs-org Guix
> package (version 9.4.6).  Note also that my Org Mode has been patched
> with Ihor Radchenko's patch to org-clock.el (attached to my previous
> message), but it clearly can't influence this problem.
>
> Regards
>
> Emacs  : GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.24, cairo version 1.16.0)
> Package: Org mode version 9.4.6 (9.4.6-gab9f2a @
> /gnu/store/yg6kjzigqyfzbkzj99xmwmv3nssvhvnq-emacs-org-9.4.6/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-9.4.6/)

I cannot reproduce this.

When I do the same, I don't see any change in Task A's timestamp at all.
There must be some other setting in play here which I don't have.

* Re: S-M-{<UP>,<DOWN>} on CLOCK timestamp
@ 2021-08-22 13:55   ` Jorge P. de Morais Neto
From: Jorge P. de Morais Neto @ 2021-08-22 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello Tim!

Em [2021-08-22 dom 11:21:47+1000], Tim Cross escreveu:

> I cannot reproduce this.
>
> When I do the same, I don't see any change in Task A's timestamp at all.
> There must be some other setting in play here which I don't have.

I am sorry, my description of the initial condition was incomplete.  To
reproduce the problem, you cannot simply copy the provided text to an
Org buffer.  You should create the clock timestamps with actual clocking
commands.  So please do the following:

1. In an Org buffer, create an outline containing ~Task A~ and ~Task B~:

   * Task A

   * Task B

2. Clock into Task A by moving point to it and typing C-c C-x C-i.
3. Clock into Task B by moving point to it and typing C-c C-x C-i.
4. Increase the minutes part of task B's clock-in timestamp via C-u 42
   S-<up>¹.  The ~42~ numeric prefix is just an example; please choose
   the numeric prefix argument so that:
   1. It is at least 5
   2. The resulting time in the timestamp is *not* a multiple of 5 min.
5. If the minutes part of task A's clock out time is not already a
   multiple of 5, then hit S-<up>¹ (no prefix argument) to make it so.
6. Now you can reproduce the problem.

¹ When you are about to type S-<up> to adjust the minutes part of a
clock timestamp, make sure point is in the minutes part you want to
adjust.  I usually place point right after the colon that separates HH
from MM.

Regards!

--
- Disinformation flourishes because many people care about injustice but
  very few check the facts.  Ask me about <https://stallmansupport.org>
- Please adopt free/libre formats like PDF, ODF, Org, LaTeX, Opus, WebM and 7z.
- Free/libre software for Replicant, LineageOS and Android: https://f-droid.org
- https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html "What is free software?"

* Re: S-M-{<UP>,<DOWN>} on CLOCK timestamp
@ 2021-09-10  6:21     ` Timothy
From: Timothy @ 2021-09-10  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Cross; +Cc: Jorge P. de Morais Neto, emacs-orgmode

Hi Tim,

Jorge P. de Morais Neto <jorge+list@disroot.org> writes:

> I am sorry, my description of the initial condition was incomplete.  To
> reproduce the problem, you cannot simply copy the provided text to an
> Org buffer.  You should create the clock timestamps with actual clocking
> commands.  So please do the following:

> *snip*

Have you had a chance to try reproducing this again?

All the best,
Timothy

* Re: S-M-{<UP>,<DOWN>} on CLOCK timestamp
@ 2021-09-13  8:06       ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2021-09-13  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy; +Cc: Jorge P. de Morais Neto, emacs-orgmode

Timothy <tecosaur@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Tim,
>
> Jorge P. de Morais Neto <jorge+list@disroot.org> writes:
>
>> I am sorry, my description of the initial condition was incomplete.  To
>> reproduce the problem, you cannot simply copy the provided text to an
>> Org buffer.  You should create the clock timestamps with actual clocking
>> commands.  So please do the following:
>
>> *snip*
>
> Have you had a chance to try reproducing this again?

No I've not. I started to, got distracted with another task and never
got back to it. I'll see if I can find time later this week.

* Re: S-M-{<UP>,<DOWN>} on CLOCK timestamp
@ 2021-09-24 22:22       ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2021-09-24 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy; +Cc: Jorge P. de Morais Neto, emacs-orgmode

Timothy <tecosaur@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Tim,
>
> Jorge P. de Morais Neto <jorge+list@disroot.org> writes:
>
>> I am sorry, my description of the initial condition was incomplete.  To
>> reproduce the problem, you cannot simply copy the provided text to an
>> Org buffer.  You should create the clock timestamps with actual clocking
>> commands.  So please do the following:
>
>> *snip*
>
> Have you had a chance to try reproducing this again?

I'm now confused over this bug report. Originally, two similar bugs were
reported at the same time. I was able to confirm one and not the other.
The added instructions seem to be a hybrid of the two bug reports, so
I'm now confused and not sure on what was the precise bug for the second
report. Based on what I *think* was the second bug, I cannot reproduce
it, but I have little confidence in that.