emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Org Mode "Contribute", "Maintenance" pages don't give repository.
@ 2021-12-04 20:59 Karl Fogel
From: Karl Fogel @ 2021-12-04 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

The "Contribute" page at
https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html does not mention
git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs/org-mode.git .  Actually, now that I
look around, the "Maintenance" page at
https://orgmode.org/worg/org-maintenance.html doesn't mention the
repository address either.  It does mention the word "repository"
a few times, but never actually links to it.

These oversights would be pretty easy to fix (if there is
agreement that they shoud be fixed), so I haven't attached a patch
here.  It would be quick for someone who already maintains those
pages to make the necessary changes.

The only place I see the repository is at the top of the home page
of
https://orgmode.org/.  That's nice and prominent :-), but
developers would probably expect to find the address on those
other two pages as well.

Best regards,
-Karl

* Re: Org Mode "Contribute", "Maintenance" pages don't give repository.
@ 2021-12-04 21:20 ` Daniel Fleischer
From: Daniel Fleischer @ 2021-12-04 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Fogel; +Cc: Org Mode

Karl Fogel [2021-12-04 Sat 14:59] wrote:

> The "Contribute" page at https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html does not mention
> git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs/org-mode.git .  Actually, now that I look around, the "Maintenance" page at
> https://orgmode.org/worg/org-maintenance.html doesn't mention the repository address either.  It does mention the word
> "repository" a few times, but never actually links to it.

I've added a link to the org-maintenance page but there was a link in
the org-contribute, in the "Your first commit as an Org maintainer"
section. The git.sv.gnu.org is a shorthand for git.savannah.gnu.org.

Thanks for reporting this,

--

Daniel Fleischer

* Re: Org Mode "Contribute", "Maintenance" pages don't give repository.
@ 2021-12-04 21:50   ` Karl Fogel
From: Karl Fogel @ 2021-12-04 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Fleischer; +Cc: Org Mode

On 04 Dec 2021, Daniel Fleischer wrote:
>> The "Contribute" page at
>> https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html does not mention
>> git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs/org-mode.git .  Actually, now that I
>> look around, the "Maintenance" page at
>> https://orgmode.org/worg/org-maintenance.html doesn't mention
>> the repository address either.  It does mention the word
>> "repository" a few times, but never actually links to it.
>
>I've added a link to the org-maintenance page but there was a
>link in
>the org-contribute, in the "Your first commit as an Org
>maintainer"
>section. The git.sv.gnu.org is a shorthand for
>git.savannah.gnu.org.
>
>Thanks for reporting this,

Thanks, Daniel!

You're right about repository link on the Contribute page.  It
might still be good to mention it earlier, like in the "Ways that
involve programming" section or even just in the first paragraph
of the page.

The reason I suggest this is that often when someone is hot on the
trail of debugging something, they haven't yet decided whether
they want to become a contributor or not.  They just know they
want to ook at the latest sources so they can first figure out
more about whatever ${technical_thing} they encountered.  So
making the latest sources very easy to find is a way of making it
more likely that someone becomes a contributor, by removing a
commonly-encountered barrier.

@ 2021-12-05  9:40     ` Daniel Fleischer
From: Daniel Fleischer @ 2021-12-05  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Fogel; +Cc: Org Mode

Karl Fogel <kfogel@red-bean.com> writes:

> The reason I suggest this is that often when someone is hot on the trail of debugging something, they haven't yet
> decided whether they want to become a contributor or not.  They just know they want to ook at the latest sources so they
> can first figure out more about whatever ${technical_thing} they encountered.  So making the latest sources very easy to
> find is a way of making it more likely that someone becomes a contributor, by removing a commonly-encountered barrier.

You're right; I'll think of a way to present the git repo link, i.e. the
code earlier and more prominently for those who just want to jump and
examine the code.

--

Daniel Fleischer

* Re: Org Mode "Contribute", "Maintenance" pages don't give repository.
@ 2021-12-06 19:17       ` Karl Fogel
From: Karl Fogel @ 2021-12-06 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Fleischer; +Cc: Org Mode

On 05 Dec 2021, Daniel Fleischer wrote:
>You're right; I'll think of a way to present the git repo link,
>i.e. the
>code earlier and more prominently for those who just want to jump
>and
>examine the code.

+1, and thanks!