emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
From: Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com>
To: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Library of babel help
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 19:06:50 +1000	[thread overview]

> Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> in my attempt to fix up some issues on the Worg site, I'm finding there
>> is considerably more things broken than I initially realised. One of
>> these things is 'the library of babel".
>>
>> There is a link to the library-of-babel.org file on worg from within the
>> Emacs manual. This link is currently failing with a 404 error. However,
>> if you use the link embedded in the actual worg pages, you will get a
>> link to the library-of-babel.org file hosted in the git repository on
>> sourcehut, not worg. (it would appear that either the current build
>> process is not copying the *.org files to the web server or the web
>> server has not been configured to allow access to *.org files and always
>> redirects you to the *.html version).
>>
>> I believe the reason the link to the HTML file is failing is because the
>> conversion from *.org to *.html is failing because of invalid emacs lisp
>> in the org file source blocks. The problem is there are 5 references to
>> flet, which was deprecated in Emacs 24.3.
>
> The latest manual has the correct link. I assume that you have fixed it.
> I guess that some of your questions do no apply anymore.

Correct. I made some minimal changes to address the worst failing
aspects. However, a lot more work to do to really clean things up.
Bastein applied the patches I sent in and has given me write access.
However, I think I will probably create a new branch to do the
updates/changes and make them available to view (somewhere) as they will
be significant and I want a clean rollback strategy in case things go
wrong (especially as I will be re-defining the whole build process for
worg and probably making significant changes to the styling). .

>> 2. I seem to recall that at one point, you could view the *.org sources
>> of pages on worg. I think this was a useful feature and we should
>> re-enable it. However, I suspect the nginx server will need some
>> tweaking. Is updating the server config to allow *.org access a
>> reasonable thing to do?
>
> Aren't they currently available? I can and I was always able to get the
> org sources by changing the link from .html to .org.

No, that doesn't work for me using either chrome or firefox. Chrome just
keeps switching back to the HTML url and firefox just hangs, returning
nothing. Bastien has sent me the nginx config being used, but I've not
yet had a look at it. My recollection is that there use to be a
link in the footer which you could use to get the source (org file). I
think an explicit link is better than relying on 'knowing' you can
change the extension to .org (even if it did work) as that is just a
little to close to 'secret guild knowledge' for my tastes.

Some of the documentation for worg implies the sources are supposed to
be in worg/source - allowing you to put a link to the sources (or any
source) inside the org file. This would likely also make the nginx
config cleaner as you can specify more accurately what is to be served
from where.