emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* [BUG] Org-mode 9.6 parallel build issue [9.6 (N/A @ /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-mode/)]
@ 2022-12-04 20:31 Maciej Barć
From: Maciej Barć @ 2022-12-04 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 245 bytes --]

Hello!

The 9.6 release fails to build with multiple jobs (-j62).
This issue was found automatically by the Gentoo Tinderbox CI.
Link to the Gentoo bug report: https://bugs.gentoo.org/884243

--
Have a great day!

~ Maciej XGQT Barć

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* Re: [BUG] Org-mode 9.6 parallel build issue [9.6 (N/A @ /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-mode/)]
@ 2022-12-05 13:34 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-12-05 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maciej Barć; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Maciej Barć <xgqt@gentoo.org> writes:

> Hello!
>
> The 9.6 release fails to build with multiple jobs (-j62).
> This issue was found automatically by the Gentoo Tinderbox CI.
> Link to the Gentoo bug report: https://bugs.gentoo.org/884243

Thanks for reporting!

I tried

cd /tmp
git clone --depth=1 git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/org-mode.git
cd org-mode
make -j64

Cannot reproduce.

The error discussed might happen when make clean is not properly
executed.

Could you please provide a more clear recipe to reproduce, if possible?
I do not remember what exactly emake does differently compared to the above.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: [BUG] Org-mode 9.6 parallel build issue [9.6 (N/A @ /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-mode/)]
@ 2022-12-05 19:06   ` Maciej Barć
From: Maciej Barć @ 2022-12-05 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1902 bytes --]

Hi Ihor!

> Cannot reproduce.

I think this is more likely to happen to users who actually compile on
boxes with very high CPU/thread count.
A common user with ~8 threads probably will not hit this issue
(I also could not reproduce this on my 4c/8t daily-driver).
Regardless if a common users is likely to hit those errors, they could
indicate that there are some bugs in the Makefiles.

> Could you please provide a more clear recipe to reproduce, if possible?

There are logs in the bug report on the Gentoo Bugzilla,
from the bug I had already mentioned:
https://884243.bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=839581
and from the one occurring with the documentation generation process:
https://884403.bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=840181

> what exactly emake does differently

Not much, it is just a wrapper for make that adds the MAKEOPTS variable
from the Portage configuration.
You can see the exact make command in the logs, that is:
- for bug 884243: make -j62 ORGVERSION=9.6
datadir=/usr/share/emacs/etc/org-mode
- and for 884403: make -j63 pdf card

Thanks for taking a look at it!

@ 2022-12-07 13:18     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-12-07 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maciej Barć; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Maciej Barć <xgqt@gentoo.org> writes:

>> Could you please provide a more clear recipe to reproduce, if possible?
>
> There are logs in the bug report on the Gentoo Bugzilla,
> from the bug I had already mentioned:
> https://884243.bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=839581
> and from the one occurring with the documentation generation process:
> https://884403.bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=840181

Thanks!
I may be missing something, but I do not see make autoloads in the logs.
make autoloads is necessary if you start from a clean repo.
See https://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html

I think that adding make autoloads before building documentation should
solve the problem.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,