emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* [MAINTENANCE] Org orphanage?
@ 2022-11-21  8:17 Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-11-21  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: flexibeast

Dear all,

This email is inspired by recent request by org-vcard maintainer to
transfer maintenance to someone else:
https://github.com/flexibeast/org-vcard

As a part of Org project (https://sr.ht/~bzg/org/), we currently have
https://git.sr.ht/~bzg/org-contrib/:

   org-contrib: Contributed packages to Org in search for new maintainers.

There, we do a very minimal maintenance and encourage people to take
over the containing packages.

Should we extend the org-contrib's current idea to other Org-related
packages that are seeking a maintainer? Similar to
https://github.com/emacsorphanage

We may temporarily use Org mailing list as a place to report bugs.

- This will give a better chance for interested people to contribute,
  and hopefully take over the work on abandoned packages.

- We can also guarantee some (very) minimal maintenance.

- And it will promote Org mailing list as a place to discuss Org-related
  staff.

WDYT?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: [MAINTENANCE] Org orphanage?
@ 2022-11-21 11:02 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2022-11-21 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, flexibeast

Hi Ihor,

> WDYT?

I think it is a very good idea and a natural evolution of org-contrib,
thanks for suggesting this.

If we move in this direction, "org-contrib" is probably not a good
name anymore: perhaps "org-stub"? "org-orphanage"? Other ideas?

We can announce this along with the Org 9.6 release.

 Bastien

* Re: [MAINTENANCE] Org orphanage?
@ 2022-11-21 11:53   ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-11-21 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, flexibeast

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> I think it is a very good idea and a natural evolution of org-contrib,
> thanks for suggesting this.
>
> If we move in this direction, "org-contrib" is probably not a good
> name anymore: perhaps "org-stub"? "org-orphanage"? Other ideas?

I am not sure if it is a good idea to keep everything in a single
repository. Maybe just create org-orphanage project, a sub-project of our
main ~bzg/org project. That org-orphanage will link to the repos we are
taking care of.

Maybe we can even gather links to all the active Org-related packages in
a similar fashion (within a dedicated sub-project).

P.S. Does sourcehut have a notion of organizations?

--

@ 2022-11-21 22:19 ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2022-11-21 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: flexibeast, emacs-orgmode

> Dear all,
>
> This email is inspired by recent request by org-vcard maintainer to
> transfer maintenance to someone else:
> https://github.com/flexibeast/org-vcard
>
> As a part of Org project (https://sr.ht/~bzg/org/), we currently have
> https://git.sr.ht/~bzg/org-contrib/:
>
>    org-contrib: Contributed packages to Org in search for new maintainers.
>
> There, we do a very minimal maintenance and encourage people to take
> over the containing packages.
>
> Should we extend the org-contrib's current idea to other Org-related
> packages that are seeking a maintainer? Similar to
> https://github.com/emacsorphanage
>
> We may temporarily use Org mailing list as a place to report bugs.
>
> - This will give a better chance for interested people to contribute,
>   and hopefully take over the work on abandoned packages.
>
> - We can also guarantee some (very) minimal maintenance.
>
> - And it will promote Org mailing list as a place to discuss Org-related
>   staff.
>
> WDYT?

I think it is an excellent idea. A rename to something like
org-orphanage would also be good as it makes the status of these
packages much clearer and may encourage adoption of those packages
people find useful.

* Re: [MAINTENANCE] Org orphanage?
@ 2022-11-22  0:45     ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2022-11-22  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode

> P.S. Does sourcehut have a notion of organizations?

Not at the moment, but Drew recently blogged that the plan is to
commence work on this soon:

> We also plan on tackling another long-awaited feature soon: user
> groups, or organizations. This and the other features described
> have been blocked on the completion of our GraphQL work, and
> with this work out of the way, it’s time to prepare for a flurry
> of new feature development to round out the alpha and finally
> bring the SourceHut beta into life.

-- https://sourcehut.org/blog/2022-11-15-four-years/

Alexis.