emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Is ob-latex maintained ?
@ 2022-06-17 13:08 DEBRY.Edouard
From: DEBRY.Edouard @ 2022-06-17 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I had a couple of small issues when trying to export latex src block to
images.

Here is to fix ideas a src block :

<=====================================================================================>
#+HEADER: :file test1.png
#+HEADER: :exports results
#+HEADER: :results output silent graphics file
#+HEADER: :fit yes :noweb yes :headers '("\\usepackage{tikz}" "\\usetikzlibrary{backgrounds}")
#+begin_src latex
\begin{tikzpicture}[background rectangle/.style={fill=olive!30}, show background rectangle]
\draw[->] (-3,0) -- (-2,0) arc[radius=0.5cm,start angle=-180,end angle=0] (-1,0) -- (1,0) arc[radius=0.5cm,start angle=180,end angle=0] (2,0) -- (3,0);
\filldraw (-1.5,0) circle[radius=1mm];
\filldraw (1.5,0) circle[radius=3mm];
\end{tikzpicture}
#+end_src
<=====================================================================================>

When hitting [C-c C-c], it did produce an "test1.png" however, it was
not a png file but ... a svg one !

I figured out that the process goes through first condition of
"org-babel-execute:latex (body params)" function (around line 150).
This one relies on function "org-create-formula-image" which should
have the process-type in argument, either 'dvipng, 'dvisvgm or
'imagemagick. If not given, the default one is given which for me is set
to 'dvisvgm.

The "org-create-formula-image" should be given in arguments the backend
corresponding to the desired image format. I tried adding 'dvipng
explicitely but image generation fails, however doing it manually (latex
+ dvipng) works.

Does someone maintains "ob-latex" ? and could make things clearer.

Regards

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This email and any attachments are confidential to the intended recipient and may also be privileged.
If you are not the intended recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender.
You should not copy it or use it for any purpose nor disclose or distribute its contents to any other person.

Ce courriel et ses pieces-jointes sont envoyes de maniere confidentielle et doivent etre traites avec attention.
Si vous n'etes pas le destinataire, merci de le detruire et d'en informer son auteur.
Vous ne devez pas copier, utiliser, reveler ou diffuser son contenu a quiconque.

* Re: Is ob-latex maintained ?
@ 2022-06-17 13:28 ` Fraga, Eric
From: Fraga, Eric @ 2022-06-17 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DEBRY.Edouard; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Have you tried adding the line:

to the file?  (you may need to type C-c C-c on that line to refresh the
settings.)  Would this solve your problem?

--
: Eric S Fraga, with org release_9.5.4-535-ged6f8d in Emacs 29.0.50

* Re: Is ob-latex maintained ?
@ 2022-06-17 13:48   ` DEBRY.Edouard
From: DEBRY.Edouard @ 2022-06-17 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

Unfortunately not.

If I remember well, this setting is for math environments, whether you
want to preview them as png or svg, it does not work for src blocks.

@ 2022-06-17 14:47     ` Fraga, Eric
From: Fraga, Eric @ 2022-06-17 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DEBRY.Edouard; +Cc: Org Mode List

On Friday, 17 Jun 2022 at 13:48, DEBRY.Edouard wrote:
> Unfortunately not.
>
> If I remember well, this setting is for math environments, whether you
> want to preview them as png or svg, it does not work for src blocks.

Well, my src blocks work although I use imagemagick and then have the
following extra settings for the LaTeX src blocks:

#+property: header-args:latex :fit yes :results file :exports results
#+property: header-args:latex+ :imagemagick yes :iminoptions -density 600 :imoutoptions -geometry 1200

If you have ImageMagick installed, maybe try this?

--

@ 2022-06-19 13:31       ` Edouard Debry
From: Edouard Debry @ 2022-06-19 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

Indeed, you can make the src block work (produce a png) by adding
imagemagick in the src block. It works because the generation process
is completely different.

But my main concern is that there is a bug in "ob-latex" : when you want
to produce a png without imagemagick, either it does not work, although
it should, or it produces a svg !

By the way, I did ask on this mailing list a previous question about
generating svg from tikz/latex src blocks. It did not work with
imagemagick, but it works well without (also with htlatex), provided
your default settings is 'dvisvgm.

This is also why I wonder if there is a maintainer for "ob-latex", such
previously mentioned bug should/could be corrected.

Regards

@ 2022-06-19 17:17         ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2022-06-19 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edouard Debry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha Edouard,

According to the table of core languages supported by Babel,
https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/index.html,
there is no maintainer for ob-latex.

The information in the table is taken from the ob-*.el files,
which indicate a maintainer if there is one.

hth,
Tom

https://tsdye.online/tsdye