* Generating documentation about Org from random org file
@ 2021-04-04  5:35 Michael Welle
From: Michael Welle @ 2021-04-04  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

the subject is a bit unmeaning, so let me explain. I have an Org file
implementing a real use case. The file consists of documentation of the
use case, of code blocks and all the other stuff. That's mostly fine.

Now I want to use this file to showcase the use case a bit, but also to
produce documentation about Org, about how to solve a problem with Org.
Therefore I want to show the code blocks, but this time with the
begin/end tags, with header parameters etc. Is there a nice way to do
that without too much code duplication and convolution? Or should I just
copy the file and separate the use case and the showcase one?

Regards
hmw

* Re: Generating documentation about Org from random org file
@ 2021-04-04  6:01 ` Greg Minshall
From: Greg Minshall @ 2021-04-04  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Welle; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Michael,

> Now I want to use this file to showcase the use case a bit, but also
> to produce documentation about Org, about how to solve a problem with
> Org.  Therefore I want to show the code blocks, but this time with the
> begin/end tags, with header parameters etc. Is there a nice way to do
> that without too much code duplication and convolution? Or should I
> just copy the file and separate the use case and the showcase one?

well.  sigh.  i had a desire to do something like that recently for a
presentation on using Org Mode with ESS for R code development.  (part
of a larger, "intro to R with ESS" series.

with initial help/pointers of others on this list, i developed some code
that takes a file and "orgifies" it (after, in my case, "resultifying").

the code, if you want to look at it, is in the file ess-org.org in this
repository:
----
https://github.com/ess-intro/presentation-org-mode
----
(to cover my shame, somewhat -- that *file* is not really intended for
public consumption, it's messy, etc.  *do* feel free to complain about
my code itself.)

the first code block is =org-filter-by-argument-value=.

as an example, *this* .org file
----
https://ess-intro.github.io/presentation-org-mode/artefacts/ess-org-demo-expanded.org
----
run through my stuff produced this .html file
----
https://ess-intro.github.io/presentation-org-mode/artefacts/ess-org-demo-results.html
----

well, either this is serendipitously *exactly* what you were looking
for.  or, not.  if the former, but you have problems, please ask.

cheers, Greg