emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
From: Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele@diplan.de>
To: Carsten Dominik <dominik@uva.nl>
Cc: Dan Griswold <dgriswol@rochester.rr.com>, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: how to change the set of agenda org files between custom agenda commands
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 14:00:35 +0200	[thread overview]

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> On Sep 24, 2008, at 11:25 PM, Rainer Stengele wrote:
>
>> Dan Griswold wrote:

>>> Playing with customize I came up with this possibility:
>>> (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
>>>      '(
>>>     ("k" . "Kundenbezogene / Ketegoriebezogene TODOs ...")
>>>        ("ka" tags-todo "CATEGORY=\"ADMIN\"")
>>>        ("kP" tags-todo "CATEGORY=\"PRIVAT\""
>>>      ((org-agenda-files
>>>        '("~/org/PRIVAT/PRIVAT.org"))))))
>>> Will that do it?
>>> Dan
>>
>> Dan, thank you. I somehow does and doesn't.
>> After using the command I get the "private" entries.
>> After using another command analogous to this it seems I cannot reset
>> the org-agenda-files variable. Looks like it only adds files to it?
>> I played around a lot but could not get it to function as wanted.
>
> Hi Rainer, Dan
>
> I just tested this, with
>
> (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
>       '(("ka" "aaa" alltodo ""
>      ((org-agenda-files
>        '("~/lib/emacs/work/org-mode/test/a.org"))))
>     ("kb" "bbb" alltodo ""
>      ((org-agenda-files
>        '("~/lib/emacs/work/org-mode/test/b.org"))))))
>
> with small files a.org and b.org containing just one TODO entry, and of
> course my full suite of TODO entries available with `C-c a t'.
>
> And then I do
>
> C-c a t
> C-c a a
> C-c a b
> C-c a t
>
> and it all works just fine, going back end forth between these in any
> sequence.....
>
>> Anyway, the syntax is quite complex.
>> I wonder if some more examples for changing agenda files when
>> executing custom commands would be helpful.
>> Anyone else who wants to see Agenden at home from different sets of
>> agenda files?
>
> I think a good way is also to keep the list of agenda files in a file, like
> ~/.agenda_files_home and ~/.agenda_files_work.
>
> The you can have different sets of files, and switch by making
> org-agenda-files
>
> (defun org-my-toggle-agenda-file-set ()
>  (interactive)
>  (if (equal org-agenda-files "~/.agenda_files_work")
>      (setq org-agenda-files "~/.agenda_files_home")
>    (setq org-agenda-files "~/.agenda_files_work"))
>  (message "Using %s" org-agenda-files))
>
> - Carsten

Hi all,

I found the problem. I used "org-agenda-directory" instead of org-agenda-files.
Not recognising that this variable doesn't seem to exist (did it ever exist?)
I assumed I can use it to indicate the org files folder.

With org-agenda-files everything works perfectly.

I now have about 48 custom commands (partly of course hierarchical) and with
dynamically changing the set of org files I really feel I have control over my todos!

I am very happy with org!

Thank you both!

Rainer