On Fri, Oct 01, 2021 at 11:05:17AM +0100, Eric S Fraga wrote: [...] > > I would also tend to only support something like "#o755" and forbid > > "755" as well as "0755", just to be more explicit and to avoid > > misinterpretation. > > Here I disagree; again, in the manual, the notation used, as an example, > is 0755. I see no need for the #o syntax personally. This is > especially true if we don't allow integer (i.e. base 10) values. Chiming in, I might be the culprit (in this thread) for the #o755 idea: I proposed it only because I was seeing that the argument was being interpreted as (a decimal representation of) an int, and thought it to be a good idea to stay compatible to Elisp notation. Since then, the movement was rather towards consistency with the shell and coreutils (which also makes sense, perhaps more [1]). I wouldn't mix both :) Cheers [1] If you get over the wart that there is a little embedded domain specific language in the arg of this one specific keyword. I can also understand Tom Gillespie's hesitations, since he's trying to formalise the grammar. - t