emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Import Reusable org-babel snippet using #+SETUPFILE
@ 2020-06-09 17:28 Salomon Turgman
From: Salomon Turgman @ 2020-06-09 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org mode

Hello all,

I have created what I hoped was a reusable org-babel snippet that looks
like this:

#+NAME: simulation
#+HEADER: :var cap="DEFAULTCAPTION" :cache yes :eval no-export :var
altimage="1_image.svg#img1"
#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :var divid="defid" :var num=1 :results html :exports
results
(format
"cool string that uses parameters %s %s ..."
num cap divid altimage (capitalize divid) divid)
#+END_SRC

I will use this snippet with something like:

#+CALL: simulation(cap="bam", num=1, divid="bamid"...)

Now, if I include the definition in every org file that I want to use it,
everything works well. However, if I include the definition in a central
org file that I import using #+SETUPFILE, things break and I don't get the
proper output in my html exports.

Is there a way that I can "import" that snippet without rewriting it in
every file I need it?

Thanks in advance!

-s-

* Re: Import Reusable org-babel snippet using #+SETUPFILE
@ 2020-06-09 23:09 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2020-06-09 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Salomon Turgman; +Cc: org mode

Hello,

Salomon Turgman <sturgman@gmail.com> writes:

> Now, if I include the definition in every org file that I want to use it,
> everything works well. However, if I include the definition in a central
> org file that I import using #+SETUPFILE, things break and I don't get the
> proper output in my html exports.

SETUPFILE only imports keywords.

> Is there a way that I can "import" that snippet without rewriting it in
> every file I need it?

See (info "(org) Library of Babel")

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Import Reusable org-babel snippet using #+SETUPFILE
@ 2020-06-15 19:52 Douglas Perrin
From: Douglas Perrin @ 2020-06-15 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Salomon Turgman,
I do this a lot and have had success using a combination of #+SETUPFILE to
bring in names and configuration, and org-sbe to do initialization. I mix
emacs vars and org names in my source headers with back quoting.

The following example has a template file containing user/local
information. This is brought into the example file, on load, through #:eval
calling org-babel-lob-ingest and org-sbe, in addition, parameters are
pulled in with #+SETUPFILE and the same template file name. The end result
for this example is a running docker image with access to local paths and
"remote" execution via tramp. More complex orchestration and actions in the
template are certainly possible using org-sbe calls in the init elisp
source blocks but hopefully, this shows the flavor of what can be done.

In addition to avoiding code duplication, I have found this to be very
effective when my group is all working from the same org file (via git) but
everyone has their own template file with credentials, local paths, and org
more preferences (ie showstars).
Regards,
Doug

TemplatingExample.org
#+SETUPFILE: Template-Loader.org

* Init Code, run when file is opened
#+name: Execute-On-Load
#+begin_src elisp  :results output
   ;; for this the container and image have the same name
    (setq *DockerName* "ContanerName")
#+end_src

* Run Contaner
#+begin_src bash  :results raw drawer :var DockerName=`,*DockerName*
DockerHubUID=`,*DockerHubUID* containerName=`,*DockerContainer*
LocalWorkPath=`,*LocalWorkPath* LocalDataPath=`,*LocalDataPath*
   docker run --rm -d \
          -v $LocalWorkPath:/root/Workdir \
          -v $LocalDataPath:/root/Data \
          --name $DockerName $DockerHubUID/$DockerName bash -c "tail -f
/dev/null"
  #+end_src

* run IN contaner
#+begin_src bash  :results output :dir (concat "/docker:" `,*DockerName*
":/root/Workdir/")
ls
#+end_src

# Local Variables:
# eval: (org-babel-lob-ingest "Template-Loader.org")
# eval: (org-sbe "Init-Template")
# eval: (org-sbe "Execute-On-Load")
# End:

Template-Loader.org
#+STARTUP: showstars
#+PROPERTY: header-args :mkdirp yes

#+name: Init-Template
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :results none
  ;; This is called expecitly via org-sbe in the buffer that will uses the
templating
    (setq *DockerHubUID* "MyUserName")
    (setq *LocalWorkPath* "/run/desktop/mnt/host/c/Users/.....")
    (setq *LocalDataPath* "/run/desktop/mnt/host/d/devData/")

  ;; ingest + SBE can be used to bring in a hierarchy of templates
  (org-babel-lob-ingest "./GroupTools/GeneralORGTools.org")
  (org-sbe "GeneralORGTools.org")

#+end_src

* Re: Import Reusable org-babel snippet using #+SETUPFILE
@ 2020-06-16 15:21 ` Salomon Turgman
From: Salomon Turgman @ 2020-06-16 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for the useful example. I will take a look. Didn't know about org-sbe!

-s-

--

@ 2020-06-17 14:23   ` Salomon Turgman
From: Salomon Turgman @ 2020-06-17 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org mode

Hey Doug,

What types of things are in GeneralORGTools.org? Are those babel
definitions? Or something else?

-s-

@ 2020-06-18 16:03 Douglas Perrin
From: Douglas Perrin @ 2020-06-18 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)