emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
From: Scott Randby <srandby@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Table Columns
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 16:45:41 -0500	[thread overview]

On 1/24/19 3:36 PM, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Scott Randby <srandby@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I wonder this: Is there a way to tell Org to align and shrink all the
>> tables in an Org file after startup or does it have to be done on an
>> individual basis?
>
> It should be
>
>    #+startup: align shrink

This is what I had in my file originally, but when I opened the file, there would be a lengthy delay before it actually opened. When I removed the code from the file, it opened immediately. I don't know what is going on.

>> My use case is this: I have an Org file with many tables and I edit
>> some of them which requires me to shrink those tables. Later, I run
>> a macro which accesses and alters all of the tables. I need all of the
>> tables to be in the same state so that the macro runs correctly.
>> I guess the solution is to have the macro put a table in the proper
>> state before it does anything to that table, but that is one more
>> thing I have to remember to put in the macro. It would be easiest if
>> I could just tell Org to unshrink (which is what I actually want) all
>> tables in the file before I run the macro.
>
> There is no function to expand all tables in the buffer, but it is
> pretty straightforward, and fast:
>
>   (dolist (o (overlays-in (point-min) (point-max)))
>     (when (eq 'table-column-hide (overlay-get o 'org-overlay-type))
>       (delete-overlay o)))

Thanks, this works well. And I learned how to take your code and turn it into a function which is something I should have learned a long time ago. One of these days, I'll get around to really learning elisp instead of borrowing code others wrote and playing around with it like an amateur. Again, thank you very much.

Scott