emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Org failing to format a link with verbatim text
@ 2021-02-16 21:20 Okam
From: Okam @ 2021-02-16 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I am using the Emacs gccemacs branch with Org version "9.5-dev".
I have noticed that when I try to insert the stored link

     file:doc/loopy-doc.org::*Destructuring with =dash=

and use the heading as the link description, that Org cannot format this
link correctly in all circumstances, and tries to make the verbatim text
break out from the link.  I have attached pictures showing this.

I can avoid this be separating the sentences with a blank line.

Thank you.

[-- Attachment #2: bad_format.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 14534 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: good_format.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 16885 bytes --]

* Re: Org failing to format a link with verbatim text
@ 2021-02-16 23:52 ` Berry, Charles via General discussions about Org-mode.
       [not found]   ` <4d4823eb-926a-0b5b-a594-69b8d3c9cbe8@protonmail.com>
From: Berry, Charles via General discussions about Org-mode. @ 2021-02-16 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Okam; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

> On Feb 16, 2021, at 1:20 PM, Okam <okamsn+emacs-org@protonmail.com> wrote:
>
> I am using the Emacs gccemacs branch with Org version "9.5-dev".
> I have noticed that when I try to insert the stored link
>
>     file:doc/loopy-doc.org::*Destructuring with =dash=
>
> and use the heading as the link description, that Org cannot format this
> link correctly in all circumstances, and tries to make the verbatim text
> break out from the link.

The last para of (info "(org) External Links") says in part:

#+begin_quote
If spaces must be part of the link (for example in
‘bbdb:R.*Stallman’), or if you need to remove ambiguities about the
end of the link, enclose the link in square or angular brackets.
#+end_quote

To me, this sounds like advice not to drop external links amid normal text. i.e. put them in brackets instead.

HTH,

Chuck

* Re: Org failing to format a link with verbatim text
       [not found]     ` <200F8C74-6673-4EF4-A8DC-A45C5E865A2A@health.ucsd.edu>
@ 2021-02-18  0:25       ` Okam
From: Okam @ 2021-02-18  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Berry, Charles; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2/17/21 1:00 PM, Berry, Charles wrote:

>> On Feb 17, 2021, at 6:48 AM, Okam <okamsn+emacs-org@protonmail.com> wrote:

>>> The last para of (info "(org) External Links") says in part:
>>>
>>> #+begin_quote
>>> If spaces must be part of the link (for example in
>>> ‘bbdb:R.*Stallman’), or if you need to remove ambiguities about the
>>> end of the link, enclose the link in square or angular brackets.
>>> #+end_quote
>>>
>>> To me, this sounds like advice not to drop external links amid normal text. i.e. put them in brackets instead.
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>>
>>> Chuck
>>>

>> Hello,
>>
>> The link is being insert with the command `org-insert-link`, and the
>> information is gotten by the command `org-store-link`.  The link is
>> being surrounded by square brackets when `org-insert-link` inserts the
>> link.  However, Org mode does not format the link correctly, as seen in
>> the pictures I sent.
>>
>> I am wondering whether I should report this as a bug, or whether this
>> problem is already fixed, as I do not update Org frequently.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>

> I cannot reproduce this. These keystrokes:
>
> #+begin_example
> M-x org-insert-link file:doc/loopy-doc.org::*Destructuring with =dash= RET Destructuring with =dash= RET
> #+end_example
>
> yield a link displayed as underlined `Destructuring with =dash=' and show the actual link when the cursor hovers over the description.  Further, when I run `org-fill-paragraph' I sometimes get newlines inserted in the description, but the link is still functional.
>
> What is needed is an ECM [1] that will lead to the problem you describe.
>
> Screenshots do not help very much as the precise sequence of keystrokes that results in the issue cannot be reverse engineered, so others cannot easily trace the action.
>
> Chuck
>
> p.s. Using Org version 9.4.3
>
> [1] https://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#ecm

Hello,

I have attached a minimum working example.  The bad formatting also
occurs when just pasting the link.  In the example, Org mode highlights
from beginning of the phrase "=verbatim text 1=" to the end of the
phrase "=verbatim text 3=" in the verbatim font style. Part of the link
is hidden as normal, but the text within the region of now verbatim text
is not hidden, including some of the brackets.

I have reproduced this without loading a configuration, so it is present
in version of Org included in the Gccemacs branch of Emacs.

Does that help?

Thank you.

[-- Attachment #2: org-formatting-ecm.org --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 144 bytes --]

The link [[phrase with =verbatim text 1=][a phrase with =verbatim text 2=]] followed by a phrase in =verbatim text 3= followed by normal text.

* Re: Org failing to format a link with verbatim text
@ 2021-02-18  2:19         ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2021-02-18  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Okam; +Cc: Berry, Charles, emacs-orgmode

in maint for regular emacs i get link face for the link.:

The link [[phrase with =verbatim text 1=][a phrase with =verbatim text 2=]]
  face                 (org-link org-verbatim org-link)

followed by a phrase in =verbatim text 3= followed by
normal text.
  face                 (org-verbatim org-verbatim)

=verbatim=
  face                 (org-verbatim)

--
The Kafka Pandemic

Please learn what misopathy is.
https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com/2013/10/why-some-diseases-are-wronged.html

* Re: Org failing to format a link with verbatim text
@ 2021-02-18  3:15         ` Berry, Charles via General discussions about Org-mode.
From: Berry, Charles via General discussions about Org-mode. @ 2021-02-18  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Okam; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

> On Feb 17, 2021, at 4:25 PM, Okam <okamsn+emacs-org@protonmail.com> wrote:
>

> I have attached a minimum working example.  The bad formatting also
> occurs when just pasting the link.  In the example, Org mode highlights
> from beginning of the phrase "=verbatim text 1=" to the end of the
> phrase "=verbatim text 3=" in the verbatim font style. Part of the link
> is hidden as normal, but the text within the region of now verbatim text
> is not hidden, including some of the brackets.
>
> I have reproduced this without loading a configuration, so it is present
> in version of Org included in the Gccemacs branch of Emacs.
>
> Does that help?

Yes. Thank You.

Use

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(setq org-fontify-emphasized-text nil)
#+end_src

to fix this. Note that an emacs restart is needed. See (info "(org) Emphasis and Monospace").

You might complain about the wording that suggests that only exports are affected, but I am not sure that claiming the behavior per se is a bug will get much traction.

HTH,
Chuck