By setting (setq org-babel-latex-preamble (lambda (_) "\\documentclass[preview]{standalone}\n") the tikz file svg generation does run fine. Obviously the part \\def\\pgfsysdriver{pgfsys-tex4ht.def} inside `org-babel-latex-preamble` does not play well with the svg generation. When having a look at the code inside ob-latex.el I also encountered a few stuff which made me wondering: 1. png generation is done with the preview code inside org.el (org-create-formula-image), there is also a perfectly fine svg preview function but this does not get used for the svg extension which does the svg conversion without any external tools like inkscape (see https://github.com/bzg/org-mode/blob/main/lisp/ob-latex.el#L156 and https://github.com/bzg/org-mode/blob/main/lisp/org.el#L3181) 2. there is a tikz extension switch which does insert the code verbatim, which in my opinion does create a whole bunch of problems (backend dependency issues). Not to mention that it also mimics behaviour which is reserved for the header :results (see https://github.com/bzg/org-mode/blob/main/lisp/ob-latex.el#L177). 3. there is a html extension switch with an unclear purpose to me (in what scenario would you want to produce an html file?). It also has some strange (and contradicting) checking if an svg or an html file got produced. As far as I can tell this code never gets executed and is therefore pointless (see https://github.com/bzg/org-mode/blob/main/lisp/ob-latex.el#L181). 4. the whole pdf generation looks like duplicate code which is already done in other parts of the code base (ox-latex.el and for the svg extension) it ais also not using the variable org-babel-latex-begin-env and org-babel-latex-end-env (see https://github.com/bzg/org-mode/blob/main/lisp/ob-latex.el#L225). I don't want to criticize anyone, I just want to find answers for in my opinion some strange decisions. My propositions for refactoring is: 1. use the svg preview code for svg generation (and therefore ditching the whole imagemagick headers) 2. remove the whole tikz generation completely 3. remove the whole html generation completely 4. try to merge pdf generation with org.el and ox-latex.el or incorporating it into he preview code and org-preview-latex-process-alist (this is probably a whole project of it own) WDYT? Best, Reza