On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 04:03:12 +0100, Carl Worth wrote: > I agree that "normal" should be easier too. So I just need to win you > over to my notion of "normal", (and teach you of the ways of the magic > space bar). As I mentioned, I rarely read mail in a linear fashion; I don't want it to show me another message, I want to see the index again. I'm torn over whether I just want the index to always be visible; having the full screen available to view a single thread is awfully nice. It seems like a 'I'm done, go back to the index' is just what is needed here. > [*] We should perhaps fix 'a' to remove the "unread" tag from any > messages that _are_ wholly visible in the current window. It's really > only when an entire thread fits this one, and I *did* read it, that I > end up reaching for the 'A' binding. yes, that does make a lot of sense, and do precisely the same for the 'x' key, leaving 'q' the way to get out of a message without changing it at all. > If we did that, then we could make 'a' do archive-go-to-next-message > and 'A' do archive-return-to-search-view. What would you think about > that? I'd take 'x' for 'return to search view; otherwise you're going to wear out my pinky reaching for the shift key. That leaves us with three commands: 'a': advance to next message, archiving current thread, marking read messages. ('A' forces all messages in thread to be marked as read) 'x': exit to search view, archiving current thread, marking read messages. ('X' forces all messages in thread to be marked as read) 'q': quit back to search view, leaving thread tags unmodified. There's a slightly weird asymmetry here -- there's no way to advance to the next thread and not mark messages. -- keith.packard@intel.com