* Usage of tag:replied
@ 2014-05-28  5:59 Wael Nasreddine
From: Wael Nasreddine @ 2014-05-28  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hi,

I'm trying to take advantage of the tag:replied to give higher priority
to emails sent to very busy lists but it seems that it's not returning
the results that I am expecting.

  $ notmuch search tag:unread AND from:lydia
  thread:000000000001a791  Today 17:20 [1/10] Lydia | Wael Nasreddine; ... (inbox replied unread work)
  $ notmuch search tag:unread AND tag:replied

As you can see in the snippet above, I do have an email that has both
tags *unread* and *replied* but when I query for both, it does not
find that email (it does not find anything for that matters).

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Wael

--
Wael Nasreddine | SRE at Google | wael.nasreddine@gmail.com | (650) 735-1773

* Re: Usage of tag:replied
@ 2014-05-28  6:12 ` Jani Nikula
From: Jani Nikula @ 2014-05-28  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wael Nasreddine, notmuch

On Wed, 28 May 2014, Wael Nasreddine <wael.nasreddine@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to take advantage of the tag:replied to give higher priority
> to emails sent to very busy lists but it seems that it's not returning
> the results that I am expecting.
>
>   $ notmuch search tag:unread AND from:lydia
>   thread:000000000001a791  Today 17:20 [1/10] Lydia | Wael Nasreddine; ... (inbox replied unread work)
>   $ notmuch search tag:unread AND tag:replied
>
> As you can see in the snippet above, I do have an email that has both
> tags *unread* and *replied* but when I query for both, it does not
> find that email (it does not find anything for that matters).
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Notmuch searches are message based. You don't have messages that have
both unread and replied tags. The default output for notmuch search is
thread summary, which includes combined tags of all messages in that
thread. You have unread and replied in different messages in the same
thread.

BR,
Jani.

* Re: Usage of tag:replied
@ 2014-05-28 19:34   ` Wael Nasreddine
From: Wael Nasreddine @ 2014-05-28 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jani Nikula, notmuch

Jani Nikula <jani@nikula.org> writes:

> On Wed, 28 May 2014, Wael Nasreddine <wael.nasreddine@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm trying to take advantage of the tag:replied to give higher priority
>> to emails sent to very busy lists but it seems that it's not returning
>> the results that I am expecting.
>>
>>   $ notmuch search tag:unread AND from:lydia
>>   thread:000000000001a791  Today 17:20 [1/10] Lydia | Wael Nasreddine; ... (inbox replied unread work)
>>   $ notmuch search tag:unread AND tag:replied
>>
>> As you can see in the snippet above, I do have an email that has both
>> tags *unread* and *replied* but when I query for both, it does not
>> find that email (it does not find anything for that matters).
>>
>> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Notmuch searches are message based. You don't have messages that have
> both unread and replied tags. The default output for notmuch search is
> thread summary, which includes combined tags of all messages in that
> thread. You have unread and replied in different messages in the same
> thread.

Is there a way to change that for a specific query in emacs? or do I
have to go with a solution like
id:5376517c.086b8c0a.bb5f.fffff90d@mx.google.com ?

Thanks,

Wael

--

@ 2014-05-30  7:56     ` Jani Nikula
From: Jani Nikula @ 2014-05-30  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wael Nasreddine, notmuch

On Wed, 28 May 2014, Wael Nasreddine <wael.nasreddine@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jani Nikula <jani@nikula.org> writes:
>> Notmuch searches are message based. You don't have messages that have
>> both unread and replied tags. The default output for notmuch search is
>> thread summary, which includes combined tags of all messages in that
>> thread. You have unread and replied in different messages in the same
>> thread.
>>

> Is there a way to change that for a specific query in emacs? or do I
> have to go with a solution like
> id:5376517c.086b8c0a.bb5f.fffff90d@mx.google.com ?

Currently such hacks are required for searching for messages based on
what tags other messages in the thread have.

BR,
Jani.